cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

Tracing vhdl variables

Jump to solution

Is it possible to add VHDL variables to the Vivado simulator wave window?

Cheers

baldrik.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Tracing vhdl variables

Jump to solution

Hi htsvn,

Pardon me, I did not look closely enough at the image you posted. It appears yo have added the variable j to the wave window. I installed Vivado 2013.4 again (I am not using series 7 devices so generally use ISE). But if I right click a variable and select add to wave window I get this message at the console:

WARNING: Simulation object /ram_to_stream_TB/UUT/dataPipe/addr was not traceable in the design for the following reason:
Vivado Simulator does not yet support tracing of VHDL variables.
ERROR: [Wavedata 42-43] There are no traceable objects to add.

Which answers my original question in the way I was trying to avoid.

How did you do it? Are you magic? Do you have the next unreleased version of Vivado?

Cheers

baldrik

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

The vhdl variables will be a part of objects window. So try to go to the objects window --> select on variables as shown attached with this post.

--HS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capture.PNG
Highlighted

Jump to solution
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Tracing-VHDL-variables/td-p/239880
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks Debraj,

Yes I did read that post before I posted its all about the future, are we there yet?

I guess the more specific question is "can you trace vhdl variables with Vivado simulator yet?"

If no, any estimate of when?

I am using the trial of ModelSim at the moment to sort out issues.

baldrik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi htsvn,

Though you can see them in the objects window, you cannot add them to the wave window, at least the last time I tried you could not.

Kudos for the attempt to be actually helpful though.

Cheers

baldrik.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi htsvn,

Pardon me, I did not look closely enough at the image you posted. It appears yo have added the variable j to the wave window. I installed Vivado 2013.4 again (I am not using series 7 devices so generally use ISE). But if I right click a variable and select add to wave window I get this message at the console:

WARNING: Simulation object /ram_to_stream_TB/UUT/dataPipe/addr was not traceable in the design for the following reason:
Vivado Simulator does not yet support tracing of VHDL variables.
ERROR: [Wavedata 42-43] There are no traceable objects to add.

Which answers my original question in the way I was trying to avoid.

How did you do it? Are you magic? Do you have the next unreleased version of Vivado?

Cheers

baldrik

View solution in original post

0 Kudos