UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triangular Wave Form

This is my code to generate a triangular wave form, but how I do to try it in Xilinx ISE Project Navigator in the simulator? I don't have the Nexys 3 because my university is close for the Holy Week, please let me know if my code works!

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

entity Triangular is
port(
clk : in std_logic;
n : in integer;
op : out integer
);
end Triangular;

architecture Behavioral of Triangular is
begin
process(clk)
variable count : integer:=0;
variable s : std_logic:='0';
begin
if RISING_EDGE(clk) then
count := count + 1;
end if;
if(count>=n/2) then count:=0;
s := NOT s;
end if;
if(s='0') then
op <= count*255/n;
else
op <= 127-count*255/n;
end if;
end process;
end Behavioral;

Thanks for your help! :)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: Triangular Wave Form

Hi,

you don't need a board to do simulations.

Even the ISIM light that comes with the webpack is sufficient for such a small model.

The code might actually work for simulation, maybe rising_edge should be written in lower case letters. (emacs had problems with the formatting)

The code won't synthesize  since dividing can only be done by some 2^n value, not just any integer.

Also there are several other minor issues:

(unconstrained integer ports,  lots of combinatorical stuff behind the synchronous assignment etc.)

Maybe you should take a look at the ISE language templates for a loadable up/down counter.

Also learning about signed and unsigned data types (numeric_std) can be helpful.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos

Re: Triangular Wave Form

Check out the ISIM Tutorial: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_6/ug682.pdf
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos