UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[VRFC 10-3146] binding entity '...' does not have generic

Jump to solution

Hi all,

After checking for similar problems accross this forum and on the web I have to ask you guys for some help to solve this strange simulation error.

I have a simple design where the entity declaration (on top level) is:

entity celeri_PISO is
generic(n_ff : integer := 32);
port ( D : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (n_ff-1 downto 0);
Q : out STD_LOGIC;
CE: in STD_LOGIC;
CLK : in STD_LOGIC;
RST : in STD_LOGIC);
end celeri_PISO;

and in the simulation file I instantiate this entity with:

component celeri_PISO is
generic(n_ff : integer);
port ( D : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (n_ff-1 downto 0);
Q : out STD_LOGIC ;
CE: in STD_LOGIC;
CLK : in STD_LOGIC;
RST : in STD_LOGIC);
end component;

The synthesis and the behavioral simulation can complete without any problem but when I try to run post-synt functional/timing simulations the following error occurs:

[VRFC 10-3146] binding entity '\celeri_PISO\' does not have generic 'n_ff' ["/media/francesco/hdd1/VivadoDB/IPs/celeri_PISO_01/celeri_PISO_01.srcs/sim_1/new/test01.vhd":52]

Why is the tool telling me that it is not able to find the generic 'n_ff' althought it is correctly (in my opinion) instantiated?

Thank you in advance.

F.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: [VRFC 10-3146] binding entity '...' does not have generic

Jump to solution

Hi @francesco.lussignoli ,

I have tried running post synthesis simulation for this test case in Vivado 2019.1 and 2018.3 and i was able to reproduce this at my end. Please note that during synthesis, the generics are replaced with constant value. Hence, you need to use a different test bench for behavioral and post synthesis simulation. This is also mentioned in the below post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/binding-entity-does-not-have-generic/td-p/670537

With the attached modified test bench i didnot come across any issues in post synthesis simulation. Hope this helps.

generic.JPG

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Jump to solution

@francesco.lussignoli 

Putting your code files in a clean project using version 2018.3 does not give that message. So, maybe that is version specific OR there is a unclean build (e.g. leftover from when it had no generic) or not looking where you think it is. Try the same experiment of dropping into a clean project and see if it goes away.

Hope that Helps
If so, Please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed. :-)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@francesco.lussignoli 

You have shown us the VHDL component entity and you have shown us the declaration of the VHDL component.  Please also show us the instantiation of the VHDL component (ie. where you connect the ports to something), which is where the problem lies (I suspect).

In your VHDL instantiation, look specifically at the generic part which should be something like the following:

generic map( n_ff => my_nff)

Mark

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi all,

complete source and simulation files are attached to the first message.

I'm running the simulation on Vivado 2019.1. I have already tried creating a new clean project but it doesn't work and the error persist.

Now I'm installing 2018 version and I let you know if the problem will disappear.

Thank you all for your help guys.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @francesco.lussignoli ,

I have tried running post synthesis simulation for this test case in Vivado 2019.1 and 2018.3 and i was able to reproduce this at my end. Please note that during synthesis, the generics are replaced with constant value. Hence, you need to use a different test bench for behavioral and post synthesis simulation. This is also mentioned in the below post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/binding-entity-does-not-have-generic/td-p/670537

With the attached modified test bench i didnot come across any issues in post synthesis simulation. Hope this helps.

generic.JPG

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)