UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Verilog-Testbench - question

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Adventurer
Accepted Solution

Verilog-Testbench - question

Hello,

I have a clock signal, and in my test bench my intention is to make a reset signal low at the negative edge of clock until that time reset signal needs to be at 1.

so I declared a reset signal  and intialized to 1.

reg reset = 1'b1;

clock frequency is 390 MHZ, and I am doing the following for clock. I declare reg clock = 1'b1;

always
 begin
#1282 clock = ~ clock;    //390 MHz.

end

now when I want to make that signal low at the neg edge of clock, I call an initial block that does the following

initial begin
reset= 1'b1;
@(negedge clock)  // line 3
reset = 1'b0;
end

But I guess this setup forms a loop or something and it would never end, the simulation keeps on running and my .vcd file gets bigger and bigger. SO I don't get any output. 

lets say in the above code if I change my line 3 to any delay less than #1000, then the simulation works. couldn't understand where I am going wrong. 

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Manoj

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer

Re: Verilog-Testbench - question

Thanks for your reply @sunilku and @richardhead.

I did have the $finish inside a separate initial block in my code. I guess synopsys VCS tools doesn't allow you to see the waveform if your design/tb is sometimes stuck due to a major logical error, unlike xilinx it will show the wrong waveform which will help us debug more fast.

I made a mistake in my tb with reference to Reset and first state jump. So the simulation files won't even gets generated, even after compiling it right. I am new to using Synopsys tools. Used to work with xilinx simulator.

Regards,

Manoj

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

Hi @manoj_xilinx,

You have declared a free running clock and there is no $finish in your test bench code. So Simulation will never end. 

Please add $finish after some time period like below 

Initial 

#10000ns $finish;

Thanks,

Sunilkumar

Voyager

What kind of reset is it supposed to be? In the code you posted, the clock starts at 1'b1, and so the first event on it is a negedge. So the reset is not held high for any posedge, so anything with a sync reset will not get reset.
Adventurer

Thanks for your reply @sunilku and @richardhead.

I did have the $finish inside a separate initial block in my code. I guess synopsys VCS tools doesn't allow you to see the waveform if your design/tb is sometimes stuck due to a major logical error, unlike xilinx it will show the wrong waveform which will help us debug more fast.

I made a mistake in my tb with reference to Reset and first state jump. So the simulation files won't even gets generated, even after compiling it right. I am new to using Synopsys tools. Used to work with xilinx simulator.

Regards,

Manoj