UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rleopold
Observer

Vivado 2014.1 XSIM Fata Error

Just switched from Vivado 2013.4 to 2014.1.  Created a new design and was able to run behavioral simulation for a while and then Vivado just closed.  Now when I re-open and attempt to run Behavioral Simulation I get this error and i cannot close the error window and cannot close Vivado.

Run Simulation

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command Failed: Failed to compile the design!

In the Log:

ERROR:  [XSIM 43-3356]  Could not open file xsim.dir/TestBench_behav/xsim.mem for writing

ERROR:  [XSIM 43-3915]  Encountered a fata error.  Cannot continue.  Exiting...

Vivado_2014_1_FE.jpg
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2014.1 XSIM Fata Error

Hi,

Run Simulation

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command Failed: Failed to compile the design!

I suspect this error due to some syntax in your RTL which is not supported by Vivado.

For the Fatal error, is it possible for you to send the design? It will help to reproduce the issue and investigate further.  

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer rleopold
Observer

Yes I can certainly send you the design.  Just let me know how you want to handle that.

I'm guessing when Vivado crashed it corrupted some of the files.  If i removed the Test Bench and associated files I could probably simulate again.  My concern is I'll have the same thing happen again.

0 Kudos

When you migrated your design from 2013.4 to 2014.1, did you ensure that you create a new copy of the project using Save As option. If not, create a new project in 2014.1 and add those files and try. Ensure that any past reference to files in VHDL textio commands are also pointed properly (if used).
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor tmollal
Visitor

I was in the exact same situation as OP. Running behavioral simulation and then Vivado closed and then I got the "could not open file xsim.dir/..." error when restarting Vivado and trying to simulate.

The cause to the error for me was that vivado.exe and xsimk.exe were still running in the background without any visible windows and were presumably still locking the files.

I killed these two processes, restarted Vivado and now I can run simulations again!

Adventurer
Adventurer

Yup, in the task manager end the XSIMK.exe process and then run the simulation, it will be working fine.

0 Kudos