UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jdb2
Visitor

Vivado 2019.1 on Linux doesn't output Verilog $display() messages to log anymore

I've been writing a testbench for a number of Verilog source files, and, I've been using the $display() and $monitor() system tasks as part of the debug process. The problem is that the messages output from the Verilog testbench were previous output to the "log" window in Vivado 2019.1 ( running on Linux ), but, now nothing is ever output to the log and it seems to be all intermixed with the output to the TCL console.

A stopgap solution that I've come up with is to copy the output of the TCL console window, save it to a file and then use grep to strip off any lines that begin with "TESTBENCH_DEBUG" and print the rest of the line, but that seems to be a huge kludge ( eg. "$ grep 'TESTBENCH_DEBUG' output.txt | sed 's/TESTBENCH_DEBUG: \(.*\)/\1/g' | tee output2.txt" ).

I've written some very simple Verilog source from scratch to test whether the problem was specific to my testbench but even that code exhibits the same behavior.

Am I doing something really stupid or is there some minor setting I have to change to get the output sent to the log window?

Thanks,

jdb2

EDIT : Here is the simple Verilog source file to reproduce the problem :

`timescale 1ns / 1ps

module test;

initial
	begin
		#101;
		$display("Hello World\n");
		$finish;
	end

endmodule

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Visitor jdb2
Visitor

Re: Vivado 2019.1 on Linux doesn't output Verilog $display() messages to log anymore

I guess I could use file I/O to write to my own log file, but, still, I'd at least like to know why nothing is displayed in the log window anymore.

jdb2

0 Kudos