UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor haver
Visitor

Vivado cannot find data file for my System Verilog simulation

I tried to load some data from a data file using a very simple system verilog testbench. Unfortunately

$fopen() returns -20000 and I could not find out why it could not find the data file, which I tried to include

in the simulation resources of my project, even letting it copy it into the project itself.

I tried to use $ferror() to see what might be wrong, but it appears as if Vivado does not support that at

this point in time (what a pity). What does the return code from $fopen() is supposed to mean?

What is the search path for data files the simulator usually takes? Is there a way to see this or even to

change, such that files are found?

I also tried to write a file, which actually worked. The imported data file is in the same directory, but seems

not to be found. I also simulated the very same test-bench on https://www.edaplayground.com which executed

my little example.

Testcode looks as follows:

file = $fopen("I_AM_HERE.TXT", "w");
    $fclose(file);

file = $fopen("nvme_data.data", "r");
    if (file <= 0) begin
       // errno = $ferror(file, errstr); Seems not to be supported by Xilinx tools!
       $display("err: Cannot open data file (rc=%0h/%d)!", file, file);
    end else begin
       while (!$feof(file)) begin
      rc = $fscanf(file, "%s %s %s %s\n", s[0], s[1], s[2], s[3]);
      for (i = 0; i < 4; i++) begin
             h[i] = s[i].atohex();
      end
      hex = { h[0], h[1], h[2], h[3] };
      $display("%s %s %s %s => %0h", s[0], s[1], s[2], s[3], hex);
       end
       $fclose(file);

Output is as follows:

READ: addr: 0000000f data: 1234567812345678123456780000000f
err: Cannot open data file (rc=ffffb1e0/     -20000)!
$finish called at time : 72 ns : File "/afs/vlsilab.boeblingen.ibm.com/proj/fpga/framework/haver/systemverilog/nvme_testbench.sv" Line 91
INFO: [USF-XSim-96] XSim completed. Design snapshot 'test_behav' loaded.
INFO: [USF-XSim-97] XSim simulation ran for 1000ns
launch_simulation: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:06 ; elapsed = 00:00:08 . Memory (MB): peak = 10686.551 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 172592 ; free virtual = 300000

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
18 Replies

Re: Vivado cannot find data file for my System Verilog simulation

Hi @haver,

Have you tried adding the file as a source to the Simulation sources using Add Sources, Add or create simulation sources?

One other thing to check is the working directory, you can do this using the pwd command in the tcl console.

Often you might believe that you are working in one directory but are actually in another. This can change depending on how you start Vivado.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor haver
Visitor

Hi Aidan,

yes, I have tried to add the data resource and even copying it into the project itself, with no success so far.

I also added a "tryout" $fopen() trying to write a file and that worked somehow. The data file is in the same

directory, so I really wondered why that was not working.

Let me try your hint with checking the path in the tcl console tomorrow. Thanks for looking at my problem.

Regards

Frank

0 Kudos

Hi @haver,

You might want to try to put your data file in "project.sim\sim_1\behav". It is usually working for me.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor haver
Visitor

bash-4.1$ find -name "*.data"
./systemverilog_example.ip_user_files/mem_init_files/nvme_data.data
./systemverilog_example.sim/sim_1/behav/nvme_data.data
./systemverilog_example.srcs/sim_1/imports/systemverilog/nvme_data.data

Somehow it already ended up in that directory (Linux). I did a pwd in the tcl window and it said I am in a directory where the datafile was also present. So I already have a bunch of those in my directory tree, but it still refuses finding it for opening.

0 Kudos
Visitor haver
Visitor

exec ls -ls nvme_data.data
1 -rw------- 1 haver gloadl 576 Feb 9 11:25 nvme_data.data
pwd
/<mydirectoryies>/systemverilog

The tcl shell seems to be in the directory from where I started the vivado tool. So outside the project, but I have a copy of my little nvme_data.data file there too. Access rights should be fine too, as far as I can judge. I can read/write the file nicely from the console.
0 Kudos

Hi @haver,

If it is a binary file, you might want to use:

file = $fopen("nvme_data.data", "rb");

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor haver
Visitor

Actually it is a text file with some hexadecimal numbers. Maybe it would be better on the long run to have it binary, but I wanted to try it out first.

0 Kudos
Visitor eyosiasy
Visitor

Is there any update on this thread? Please let me know if you have found a solution. I am dealing with a similar symptom.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Visitor haver
Visitor

Hi,

I think I ended up in using $readmemh() and $writememh() to get the data in and out of my simulation. But even that was not troublefree.

/* Circumvention for simulator problems we have seen. Xilinx change request was filed */       
`ifdef SIM_XSIM
                static logic [7:0] fname[128]; /* works only for xsim */
`else
                static string fname; /* works for ncsim but not for xsim */
`endif
                $sformat(fname, "SNAP_LBA_%h.bin", lba_addr);
                $readmemh(fname, axi_data);

The problem with string versus logic array is not there if one uses $writememh(). I wanted to have a special filename depending on the data I write/read (LBA - logical block address).

Regards

Frank

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that, Frank. 

I was considering something like that myself: converting all the binary test data to ASCII, breaking it up into smaller files and naming each one with an index, then loading them in sequence in the testbench.  Doable, but a bit of a headache.

Any comment from the Xilinx team?  Is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround to get fopen() to succeed?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

As Vivado simulation likes to make obscure run directories, I tend to use absolute paths in my stimulus files. 

That works around Vivado's idiosyncracies.

I also use purely binary stimulus for more compact storage. 

Here's what I developed as, essentially, a template for every testbench I have...

parameter ROOT_SIM = "/home/local/some/fixed/path/to/stimulus/";

parameter MAXINFILE_SIZE = 300001;  
   logic [31:0]     data [MAXINFILE_SIZE];  

int fid;
   int code;
   string 	       gauss_fn;
   initial begin
      gauss_fn = "/scripts/matlab/binary.dat";

// file is continuous 32b int samples
// Note @bkuschak I simply append the fixed ROOT_PATH to a specific filepath - usually at the top of my project-specific directory structure fid = $fopen( {ROOT_SIM, gauss_fn}, "rb"); code = $fread(data, fid); $display("end reading stimulus file %s %d\n. Location after read: %2d", gauss_fn, fid, $ftell(fid)); $fclose(fid); end

Then all the data is in an array (data).

Works around Vivado's problems every time.

Best,

Jerry

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advice, Jerry.  

I tried absolute paths, using both forward and backward slashes. (This is a windows machine).  I have also used very short paths to avoid problems with Windows path length limitations.   None of these solutions worked unfortunately.  It's very clearly seeing my file.  If I remove the file from the simulation behav directory I get an fopen() return code of 0.  With the file there I get a code of -20000, which is later rejected by fread().

For your situation, I agree, using absolute paths can be handy, especially if another tool generates new stimulus files externally.  Otherwise, have you tried adding the stimulus file to your simulation project as either an 'Unknown File type' or as a 'Memory Initialization File'?  That will cause Vivado to copy it to the runtime directory before running the sim so you can use a relative path in the fopen.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

So the -20000 isn't rejected in my case. I haven't added the files to the simulation set as I haven't needed to using the abs path method.

I just tried my tb, you can see the -20000 corresponding to fid (referencing above snip). It certainly worked - also I do a $ftell after to know it read 'so many' values from whatever file I used...

0 ns:  window_generic_tb   starting...
end reading stimulus file /scripts/matlab/some.dat      -20000
. Location after read: 1200004
Where the "end reading" line is generated from this line of code:     
$display("end reading stimulus file %s %d\n. Location after read: %2d", gauss_fn, fid, $ftell(fid));

I'm sorry this didn't help, but you can see that I get -20000 as well.

So -20000 breaks down into 0xFFFF_B1E0. That's not consistent with the definition (going by 1364-2001) which is supposed to be bit31 set followed by a small number, but I wouldn't call it incorrect. I get that and read the data into an array, then access the array.

Not sure what's wrong given your -20000 which is the same thing I get (although after $fread).

Posting a code snip might help....

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Please refer to my link earlier in the thread.  I posted a new thread with the details before I had found this thread, and later updated my post with a link to this one.  It has a code snippet and the error code from the TCL console from fread().  For whatever reason my fread() doesn't like the -20000.  It seems to interpret it as -1.

I'm using Verilog and 'integer', while you are using SV and 'int' but I don't expect that to be a problem.

I can try playing around with fseek() / ftell() and see if they complain about the fp.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@bkuschak 

Thanks for pointing that link out... just read through the thread.

Can you actually post the watered down testbench with the binary file and just the initial process.

Looks ok to me at a glance. I'll give it a shot, albiet in Ubuntu (and primarily 2018.2).

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved.  I feel a bit stupid about this, but I simply had the wrong order to the parameters in fread().  It should be 

ret = $fread(rxd, fp);

not

ret = $fread(fp, rxd);

Too bad the simulator doesn't have better type checking to raise a warning about this..  One is an integer the other a reg [63:0]. 

Thanks for your help.  Looking at your snippet more closely I was able to spot my error.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yep makes sense. often the small things.

0 Kudos