Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejleiss
Participant
Participant

help with hierarchical design

Hello,

I am trying to put together a hierarchical design made up of two modules. A pulse width detector and a bit decoder.  I have independently simulated both of these modules and they work.  I am trying to put this together in a top level design and simulate it next.  The pulse width detector works with my simulation in the top level design, but I keep getting Undefines for most of my signals in the bit detector.

Could anyone please help me figure out my issues?  My files are attached.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@ejleiss ,

The o_num_bits is the name of a port at PW_Counter_Top and it is also defined as a signal in your wrapper top-level. Use another signal name and it would work.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

@dpaul24 

Re-using a component port name as a local signal is fine.

@ejleiss The problem is in "Top_wrapper", there is a signal called o_num_bits. It is only connected to the input of bit_decoder "i_num_bits", hence will always be "UUUU". The "o_num_bits" in the "PW_counter_TOP" is connected to PW_out.

ejleiss
Participant
Participant

Thank you both for your responses.  So I am obviously not understanding something... o_num_bits is the output of PW_Counter_Top and is supposed to be fed into i_num_bits of the Bit_Decoder module.  I thought I was doing that in the Top_Wrapper by setting i_num_bits <= o_num_bits in the port mapping of Bit decoder... 

Port mapping o_num_bits to PW_out was just for diagnostic purposes.  How would I pass o_num_bits to i_num_bits properly?

Thanks agian. 

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Connect "o_num_bits" signal  to the "o_num_bits" port in the component. Then connect "PW_Out" to the "o_num_bits" signal

0 Kudos