Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

syntsx and error checking for testbench

Jump to solution

How to perform syntax and error checking for VHDL Testbench in vivado?

Currently if there is some error, vivado doesn't inform the user and then place the testbench into a non-module folder.

Even when it is outside the folder, checking isn't perform until during simulation. I try the check_syntax tcl command but this seem to perform on the source file but not the testbench

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

From the shared info you have the version limit of 2018.06. As per AR#33770, you should be able to use Vivado 2018.2 without any issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

The syntax is also checked automatically as the file is edited in the Vivado text editor, or when the file is saved.

You can see any red lines pointing to syntax errors in your test bench when opened in Vivado text editor and modify as per suggestions when placing the mouse pointer on the red line

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I believed this only occurred for vhdl source code but not a vhdl testbench..

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

Which version of Vivado are you using?

The on the fly syntax checks for simulation sources is now enabled. Can you please try using latest versions of Vivado 2018.x and check if it helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

If your sub module has a syntax error or you have not added a sub module which is already instantiated, tool will place those sub module files into non-module folder. 

Hence, prior to save your project you need to make sure, that are there any syntax error are present or not. 

For that you can check the red line as shown below. 

errrororo.JPG

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I'm using 201. Does this version have testbench checker enable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

In every Vivado version, you will find red line where the syntax error present. 

Regards,

hemangd

If you do not have further queries, than you can close the thread by marking it as accepted solution. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

Ideally, syntax checker is enabled by default. You can cross check by going to Settings --> Text Editor --> Syntax Checking and make sure that perform dynamic syntax checking option is checked as shown in the below snippet

syn.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

strange but i just injected syntx error into my testbench vhdl and then save it but not red line.

I did the same in my design vhdl and save it, and there is red line.

At least this experiment shows version 2017.1 doesn't have this feature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

It seems that Vivado 2017.1 had some issues with VHDL syntax checking. This issue seems to be fixed as a CR had been filed regarding the same in the past. So, can you please check the same in the latest vivado version and let us know if you still face the same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I'll install the latest version and hopefully the checker for testbench is fix there.

Thanks for your help.

My Vivado license expired at the 2nd quarter of 2017.

Will I be able to running everything from the 2018.2 version or will there be some feature limitation.

Any idea what I'll not be able to run

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

Can you please check the version limit of your license file? The license will enable any version of the design tools released during or before the month specified by the Version Limit.

Please refer the below Answer Record on version limit details:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Also, you can try using Vivado 2017.3 or later versions and check if it helps. As i checked in Vivado 2017.3 and it seems to work.

syntax.JPG

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

There isn't any Limit field in my license.

As I check again it reads as follow below. ...it seem it expired 2018 06?

# This is a permanent license generated on Sun Jul 23 16:13:06 UTC 2017
INCREMENT Vivado_Design_Edition xilinxd 2018.06 permanent 1 \
710624D18639 \
VENDOR_STRING=tchin123,Vivado_Design_Edition,software,permanent,_211346252_1777526322_210660200_521 \
ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=23-Jul-2017 TS_OK
#

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tchin123,

From the shared info you have the version limit of 2018.06. As per AR#33770, you should be able to use Vivado 2018.2 without any issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos