cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

xelab.exe Terminates When it Reaches 4gb Ram Usage

So I am using xelab.exe to create a simulation model for a MicroBlaze design that uses the following ip:

• 2 x AXI GPIO
  • 2 x AXI Stream FIFO
  • 2 x Interrupts
  • 2 MB Block RAM

I see the memory usage just go up and up and up, and when it reaches a number just under 4,000,000 it just disappears from my task manager.  I can't find a crash log and the last few lines in my log file are:

Any ideas? I know this should have something to do with memory usage of processes on Windows 7 - 4GB barrier. This is running on a virtual machine and not on a bare metal machine.  So I can change the options. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Compiling architecture lut5_v of entity unisim.LUT5 [\LUT5("1011100010111000101110111...]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.instr_mux [instr_mux_default]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.microblaze_v9_5_3_MB_MUXCY [microblaze_v9_5_3_mb_muxcy_defau...]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.microblaze_v9_5_3_carry_or_98 [microblaze_v9_5_3_carry_or_98_de...]
Compiling architecture lut4_v of entity unisim.LUT4 [\LUT4("1111111111101010")(0,15)\]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.read_data_mux [read_data_mux_default]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.MicroBlaze_GTi [microblaze_gti_default]
Compiling architecture lut5_v of entity unisim.LUT5 [\LUT5("0010001000101111001000100...]
Compiling architecture lut6_v of entity unisim.LUT6 [\LUT6("0100010001000000111111111...]
Compiling architecture lut5_v of entity unisim.LUT5 [\LUT5("1111111111111110111011101...]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.mb_sync_bit [mb_sync_bit_default]
Compiling architecture lut6_v of entity unisim.LUT6 [\LUT6("1111111111101111111111111...]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.MicroBlaze_Core [microblaze_core_default]
Compiling architecture structure of entity xil_defaultlib.MicroBlaze [microblaze_default]

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: xelab.exe Terminates When it Reaches 4gb Ram Usage

Hi @johnwallstreetfpga,

Can you supply more information, what version of the tools are you using and on what OS and version?

You may want to check the following forum:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/xsim-2013-4-crash/m-p/416739

Thanks
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Vivado 2015.4, Windows 7 64bit with all updates.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @johnwallstreetfpga,

I doubt if this is the issue but Windows 7 64bit sometimes doesn't allow you to use all the memory.

If you run MSCONFIG and go to Boot, Advanced Options you can set how much memory Windows can assign for programs.

Mem.PNG

An alternative is to try a later version of Vivado as 2015.4 is quite an old version and there have been many updates and fixes since.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards
Aidan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @johnwallstreetfpga

You can also try adding the -cc gcc switch to the xelab settings. 

There was a known issue with large designs in 2015.x when running Simulations

cc.PNG

Best Regards
Aidan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok I will take a look. I also think there is a chance that I have a memory leak issue. I will also try with a later version of vivado.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Here is an update:

I was able to create the simulation model by using the 64 bit version of xelab by adding -m64 to my call to xelab.bat

The -cc gcc option used a different compiler but it did not solve the problem.

I also found a post somewhere that said the Bram controller in my design may be what is causing the memory leak.

Unfortunately my code that uses this simulation model cannot open 64 bit dlls.

I disabled simulation from that code and everything is working fine.

I also read through the xelab documentation and do not think it is possible to create a 32 bit dll from the 64 bit version of xelab.

One last thing for me to do is to install a later version of vivado and try again with the 32 bit version of xelab. (I have the latest version but it only has the 64 bit version installed)

Thank you to everybody!
0 Kudos