cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ADC Data Collection in Spartan 6 (90% resource utilized)

Hi,

I'm using a Spartan 6 LX 150 in which i'm interfacing a transceiver IC. I need to send data in Double data rate both - while tranmitting to DAC and receiving from ADC.

Apart from this, there are other algorithms that are inside the FPGA, which have consumed 98% DSP Slices and majority of the LUTs and Slices. The FPGA PAR giving a very high timing failures. Besides, with all these designs, the transmitting data to DAC and receiving data from ADC is also getting spoilt.

The FPGA routing results in poor setup and hold times, resulting in this problem.

I've tried giving in OFFSET IN and OFFSET OUT constraints for the Data bus of ADC and DAC. Also have given the period for all the clocks used in the design.

Have also registered the ADC and DAC Data bus by multiple stages which is not helping too. Have tried creating pblocks for step by step smaller segments and still i've a huge timing failure.

Can somebody help me by telling how to properly send data and receive from Transceivers, with other logics inside the FPGA not affecting this segment of the design??

Details:

1. ADC Clock and DAC Clock:  30 MHz

2. Double Data Rate transmit and receive

Regards,
Sharan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I'm using a Spartan 6 LX 150 in which i'm interfacing a transceiver IC

Can somebody help me by telling how to properly send data and receive from Transceivers?

Which transceiver?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sharan,

With a very high utilization, you may need extra effort- drawing pblocks/ manual placement etc to meet timing.

You can refer to Timing Failure Design Scenarios section of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/ug612.pdf for guidance on meeting the timing.

If possible, share the utilization report (.mrp) and timing report (.twr).

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Bob,

The Transceiver used is AD9361 from Analog Devices

Regards,

Sharan

0 Kudos