Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Advantage of Floating point IP core v6 over v5

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to do some floating point operations in VHDL. I am intending to use Xilinx Logicore IP floating point operator to do same. I found that there is even change in the input/output pins of the core in v5 and v6. I would like to know advantages of v6 over v5 ie like if it is faster or uses less resources ... I found v5 more understandable. So if v6 is not offering significant advantages , planning to use v5. Hence queried on same. Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Shalini

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Advantage of Floating point IP core v6 over v5

Jump to solution
The 1st thing you can check is the Change log for each of these IP versions to know the changes and differences.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution
Actually the version of FP IP is upto 7.1 now. It seems all newer versions have more features (more operations, non-standard mantissa, exponent sizes etc.) and they support newer chips too.
If you are looking for a small set of functionality and earlier chips, v5 is OK I guess.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/floating_point/v7_0/pg060-floating-point.pdf
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/floating_point/v6_1/pg060-floating-point.pdf

and finally some area numbers:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/floating_point/v6_1/pg060-floating-point.pdf
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for prompt reply. I am using xilinx ISE 14.7 . It has only v5 and v6.1 shown. I understood v6 uses AXI interface. Does it have any advantage over v5 that do not use it? I did not find any specific changes from datasheet  other than increase in number of signals.I want to know if it is fast or so because of AXI...

With regards

Shalini

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
The 1st thing you can check is the Change log for each of these IP versions to know the changes and differences.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos