UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer through USB

Is it possible to send data from my Spartan 3E FPGA block RAM to my computer through USB? I was trying to send data through serial RS232, but thats not working, so want to find an alternate path to send the data. If possible, what is the workout for that?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Data transfer through USB

Depends on how fast you need to go.  Look around at www.ftdichip.com, and also Google the FX2LP from Cypress.  Despite the fact that Cypress refers to their part with terms like "EZ-USB," you will probably find one of the FTDI parts easier to use.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

smukerji@asu.edu wrote:

Is it possible to send data from my Spartan 3E FPGA block RAM to my computer through USB?

Yes, it is. How fast do you need to go? You can implement a Full Speed USB MAC in the FPGA and have it talk to a PHY, or you can hang the FPGA off of the external memory bus of a microprocessor which has an on-board USB interface, or you could attach a Silicon Labs CP21xx USB-to-UART bridge chip to the FPGA (they're a lot better than the FTDI devices).

I was trying to send data through serial RS232, but thats not working, so want to find an alternate path to send the data. If possible, what is the workout for that?

Serial RS-232 is about the easiest thing in the world to implement. When you say it's "not working," what exactly wasn't work?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

As @bassman59 has said, a UART serial transmitter is one of the easiest interfaces around. The only easier one I can think of is uni-directional SPI, since that avoids start/stop bits and also provides a dedicated clock signal - but SPI is much more painful to connect to a computer (most USB-SPI adaptors are designed as SPI masters, so you'd have to make the FPGA an SPI slave, which is relatively difficult).

If you cannot get a UART working, then USB is definitely not the right way to go. Sort of like saying "I couldn't get a bicycle to work so I decided to build an A380 instead".

As I mentioned in your other thread about the UART, people are willing to help - but you have to give us something to work with. "I built a UART and it's not working" is not enough information. At the very least, we need the code and the input clock speed.

0 Kudos
Observer andoki
Observer

Why not use USB as a channel between your computer and FPGA, such as the solution found here.

http://www.future-ds.com/en/products.html#CON_FMC

The only limitation is the FPGA board should have FMC connector.

Fortunately, most of Xilinx development kit board comes with FMC.

Single board computers (SBC) such as Raspberry Pi or Odroid usually do not have PCIe port instead they have serial interfaces such as USB. So why not use USB as a channel to talk to FPGA.

There is a novel solution that connects SBC to FPGA through USB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I can recommend the below site for serial comm if you didn't try before. You will only need a usb2rs232 converter and a driver module (maybe). There are very chip converters on Chines sites and I used them a lot.

https://www.nandland.com/vhdl/modules/module-uart-serial-port-rs232.html

hope this do something...

0 Kudos