UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor spundun
Visitor

Devince/Family naming within Xilinx

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm trying to port a vhdl design that we synthesize using synopsys to Xilinx Spartan 6 FPGA.

- So far it looks like, using Xilinx Synopsys Interface (XSI) might be the shortest path. We use synopsys DesignWare library in our design.

- I'm trying to avoid using the GUI because my build system is entirely based on commandline at the moment.

Here http://www.xilinx.com/itp/data/alliance/xsi/xsi1_3.htm the documentation talks about which families are supported but I'm not sure if Spartan 6 is part of any of those families. Is there a document which explains how all the different naming and IDs map to each other?

e.g. How do I figure out how to use XSI with Spartan 6? How do I come up with device names like xc5vlx30-ff324-1 for a Spartan 6 chip?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Devince/Family naming within Xilinx

Jump to solution

> So far it looks like, using Xilinx Synopsys Interface (XSI) might be the shortest path.

> We use synopsys DesignWare library in our design.

This is incorrect and this will be by far the longest and most unsuccesful path for you to follow.   This is 10+ year obsolete path.  You need to get license for the Synopsys Synplify tool with Xilinx Spartan-6 support. 

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@spundun wrote:

e.g. How do I figure out how to use XSI with Spartan 6? How do I come up with device names like xc5vlx30-ff324-1 for a Spartan 6 chip?

RTFM. The "device name" comes right out of the orderable part number section of device family data sheet. XC5V means Virtex 5, LX means LX variant, ff324 is the package, -1 is the speed grade. There, wasn't that easy?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor spundun
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming that. Now RTFQ again. My main question is, if you see the link I posted it talks about the bunch of families supported by XSI. Like XC3000A, XC3000L, XC3100A, XC3100L, XC4000E, XC4000L, XC4000EX, XC4000XL, XC4000XLA, XC4000XV, and XC5200. How do I figure out if Spartan 6 is any of those families. Is Spartan 6 supported by XSI? The Spartan 6 datasheet says "Spartan 6" is a family. And the link I posted doesn't mention "Spartan 6" does that mean XSI doesn't support Spartan 6?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> So far it looks like, using Xilinx Synopsys Interface (XSI) might be the shortest path.

This is incorrect and this will be by far the longest and most unsuccesful path for you to follow.   This is 10+ year obsolete path.  You need to get license for the Synopsys Synplify tool with Xilinx Spartan-6 support. 

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

Visitor spundun
Visitor

Jump to solution

@mcgett wrote:

Thanks a lot. I had a funny feeling I was going down the wrong path because the more I tried to read and the more I tried to google, I was coming up with nothing. Wasted a weekend, oh well.

I'll look into Synplify, and also will try to compile the code using XST, if I can figureout how to get xst to treat DesignWare code and SRAM models as blackboxes, I might be golden.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@spundun wrote:

Thanks for confirming that. Now RTFQ again. My main question is, if you see the link I posted it talks about the bunch of families supported by XSI. Like XC3000A, XC3000L, XC3100A, XC3100L, XC4000E, XC4000L, XC4000EX, XC4000XL, XC4000XLA, XC4000XV, and XC5200. How do I figure out if Spartan 6 is any of those families. Is Spartan 6 supported by XSI? The Spartan 6 datasheet says "Spartan 6" is a family. And the link I posted doesn't mention "Spartan 6" does that mean XSI doesn't support Spartan 6?

I don't know anything about XSI, but if you RTFM you'd know that the prefix for Spartan 6 devices is XC6S, and the variant is either LX or LXT.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Jump to solution
I (vaguely) remember designing-in the XC4005E, using schematic capture tools. About 1997...

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos