UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor csolorzano
Visitor

Error programming xilinx xc3s500e buzzer wont stop. Waveshare core3s500e

Jump to solution

High guys maybe some can help me out, I bought the Waveshare Core 3S500E starter kit but when I try to program the chip all the leds on the SPARTAN light up and the on-board buzzer beeps away constantly. Could my board be fried I have tried every conceivable configuration I can think of but no cigar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Error programming xilinx xc3s500e buzzer wont stop. Waveshare core3s500e

Jump to solution

@csolorzano

Is the board actually being programmed? If it has a "DONE" light, is that coming on? Is ISE reporting that programming was successful? If so, your FPGA is (probably) fine, and you've just got a configuration error.

I haven't looked into the board in detail, but it's not unusual for manufacturers to drive the LEDs and buzzer from transistors in a configuration that acts as a logical inverter. Add some pull-down resistors on those pins, and whenever the FPGA isn't actively pulling the pins high you'll get the LEDs and buzzer going.

Alternatively, if the buzzer is just a simple one (ie no built-in functions) then anything other than a continuous tone indicates that the FPGA is working, because that's the only thing that could be producing the modulation.

Also, just to be sure, you're not resetting the board after programming? I've seen FPGA beginners (many times) program a chip and then immediately hit the reset button - which just loads the original bitstream from flash. They had misunderstood the concept of a global reset; if you're using a global reset net then you need to do that on a general-purpose pushbutton, not the main FPGA reset button.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@csolorzano

Is the board actually being programmed? If it has a "DONE" light, is that coming on? Is ISE reporting that programming was successful? If so, your FPGA is (probably) fine, and you've just got a configuration error.

I haven't looked into the board in detail, but it's not unusual for manufacturers to drive the LEDs and buzzer from transistors in a configuration that acts as a logical inverter. Add some pull-down resistors on those pins, and whenever the FPGA isn't actively pulling the pins high you'll get the LEDs and buzzer going.

Alternatively, if the buzzer is just a simple one (ie no built-in functions) then anything other than a continuous tone indicates that the FPGA is working, because that's the only thing that could be producing the modulation.

Also, just to be sure, you're not resetting the board after programming? I've seen FPGA beginners (many times) program a chip and then immediately hit the reset button - which just loads the original bitstream from flash. They had misunderstood the concept of a global reset; if you're using a global reset net then you need to do that on a general-purpose pushbutton, not the main FPGA reset button.

View solution in original post

Visitor csolorzano
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, there is no done indicator. ISE does show that the programming was successful and when I send one of the demo programs to the board it actually seems to do what its supposed to, other than the leds being always on and the buzzer going. I will look into the configuration to see if I am doing something wrong I am a complete beginner on this subject so maybe I am doing something wrong. I will look into the buzzer and leds being fed from a logical inverter that must be set on high for it to work. I can erase the program from ISE and it actually works.

0 Kudos
Visitor csolorzano
Visitor

Jump to solution

Me again, you sir where right on the money I changed the configuration option and set the unused IOB pin to pull high this fixed the problem with the buzzer and the leds staying fixed on. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this since I literally stayed up all night trying to find a solution online to this problem.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

I suspect that a lot of FPGA developers have been in that situation. It seems to be a reasonably common practice for devkits to have inverted outputs - I think I found out about it while debugging a Digilent Nexys 2. At least in that case the board stayed quiet since there was no buzzer (just the LEDs).

0 Kudos