cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact Problems with Spartan-3

I just got my Spartan-3 board and I am having trouble sending my board a bit file using Impact.
I get the message:

Programming terminated. DONE did not go high.

Programming failed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Impact Problems with Spartan-3

You may want to set the Mode pins to JTAG to make sure it doesn't try to program from the on-board memory.  That requires having the jumper on M1 only - see page 37 of UG130.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into a similar problem on a Spartan 3 Starter Kit.  I now get a 'success' message when programming the FPGA and verification passes during programming, but not after a board reset.  The board appeared to have the 'clock' example loaded on it; I was attempting to reload that example with various small things changed (button 1 triggers reset rather than button 3 for example) but I don't seem to notice any difference after I attempt to program the board.  Using the Boundary Scan window, I have the xc3s200 assigned my clock.bit that I regenerated, and the xcf02s serial flash set to bypass (as I couldn't see a way to generate a file for this chip).  When I initialize the boundary scan chain and assign my clock.bit file to the FPGA, I also select the "Enable programming of SPI flash device attached to this FPGA" option.  I assume this is the correct way to get the new FPGA configuration into the serial prom?  I've tried erasing the part first and verifying it is blank before programming...  I'm sure it's something simple, but I don't see anything that I'm missing.

I believe that I'm programming the FPGA, but that the configuration is simply lost when I reset the FPGA.  Any ideas?

Thank you,
- Josh.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.  When I closed the Boundary Scan window, it asked me if I wanted to save my IPF file.  Now I have an IPF file and the "Generate PROM, ACE or JTAG File" section in the help makes more sense.  When I double click on the 'Generate PROM, ACE or JTAG File" as described in the help, I receive the following error.  I'm using ISE Release Version 9.2.02i, Application Version J.38.

Thank you,
- Josh.

Preference Table
Name                 Setting            
StartupClock         AUTO_CORRECTION    
AutoSignature        FALSE              
KeepSVF              FALSE              
ConcurrentMode       FALSE              
UseHighz             FALSE              
ConfigOnFailure      Stop               
UserLevel            Novice             
MessageLevel         Detailed           
svfUseTime           FALSE              
SpiByteSwap          AUTO_CORRECTION    
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
 LPT base address = 0378h.
 ECP base address = FFFFFFFFh.
Cable connection established.
'1': Loading file 'C:/classes/Spartan3 Kit/clock/clock.bit' ...
done.
INFO:iMPACT:1777 -
Reading C:/Xilinx92i/spartan3/data/xc3s200.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc3s200 successfully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO:iMPACT:1777 -
Reading C:/Xilinx92i/xcf/data/xcf02s.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '2': Added Device xcf02s successfully.
Active mode is BS
ERROR:iMPACT:2667 - base class function generate() is called.
ERROR: PtrHandleBase@153491720 batch mode failed !

Process "Generate PROM, ACE, or JTAG File" failed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got past this problem by exiting ISE, then deleting my IPF file.  Starting from scratch, I saw the dialog box pop up and noticed that there was a prom option.  Had problems from there, but started my own thread about it.
0 Kudos