cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Layout Spartan 6 CSG484

Hi

I am working on a layout with a  XC6SLX100-3CSG484C. I´m using  a 6 layers board (4 signal layers and 2 internal planes). I´ve problems to fanout this package because i need access to a lot of  package pins in the escape pattern 

Im working with a PCB mananufacturer that allowme to use Clearance: 5 Mils, Width: 4 Mils, Via diameter 18Mils,Via Hole size: 8Mils, and Minimum Annular Ring 5Mils but not less and this is a problem

Wich parameters for manufacturing do you recomend to use in this package? Do you recomend any manufacturer in US with web service for this kind of project? Do i´ve to use blind or buried vias?

Thanks.

Dario

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Layout Spartan 6 CSG484

Given the design rules, you can only route one signal between vias.  This means you either need to go to more layers or find a board house with tighter design rules.  Which way you choose to go may depend on the relative cost of layers vs high-density design rules.  Are you very space-constrained or could you consider increasing the board area a little to use the FGG484 instead of the CSG484?

Some things that cost money but could increase the routes you get per layer:

smaller minimum width / spacing

blind vias

laser drilling

In my designs using similar packages, I typically have a 12 layer board with 4 plane layers and 8 routing layers and 4 mil minimum trace width and spacing, at least on inner layers.

-- Gabor
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In your case I think either you have to increase number of PCB layers or reduce the number of IO connections in design is one of the solution.  

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

In your case I think either you have to increase number of PCB layers or reduce the number of IO connections in design is only the solution.

I respectfully disagree.  Increasing layer count reaches diminishing returns if vias block routing channels (on all layers).

Most likely the least expensive solution is to tighten up the design rules to permit 2 traces between vias in the escape pattern.  5mil / 4mil design rules might be OK for 1mm pitch BGAs, but not for 0.8mm pitch BGAs.  4/4 design rules should allow 2 traces between vias (inner layers) and 1 trace between pads (component layer).

There will be a board fab upcharge for tighter design rules, but the overall board cost difference is usually minor.  For some designs, 5/5 design rules can be used everywhere in the board design except at the FPGA and the DRAM, where traces (and spacing) need to be necked down.  Sometimes a board fab house will waive the design rules upcharge if the use of the tighter rules is limited (for example, limited to escape patterns for DRAM and FPGA).

Gabor's advice is spot on.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I respect the  Bob Elkind comments. 

Also the following link http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug393.pdf "Table A-3: Recommended PCB Design Rules (mm) for CSP Packages"  information is useful for cross checking while doing PCB layout. 

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos