UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ccthx1138
Observer

Powering up first ever FPGA based PCB - Spartan3AN - ramp up current manually?

Jump to solution

Hi guys.  New here.  I'm about to fire up my first PCB design with FPGA - Spartan3AN.  It's finally lunch day. 

I thought i better ask those who know, or can surmise, if i should ramp the current up from my test bench supply (5Vdc) to the PCB, or set the current to limit just over expected current (375mA quiescent on 1.2V, + a few mA for 3.3v and peripheral ICs),  so about ~400mA and apply full power instantly?  Other considerations?  TIA.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Powering up first ever FPGA based PCB - Spartan3AN - ramp up current manually?

Jump to solution

c,

Set current limit as you suggest.  Power on must not be slower than 50 ms (10% to 90%), and not as fast as below a millisecond or so (all devices are tested to these limits).

If you get higher current, check for assembly shorts, solder splashes.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
4 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Powering up first ever FPGA based PCB - Spartan3AN - ramp up current manually?

Jump to solution

c,

Set current limit as you suggest.  Power on must not be slower than 50 ms (10% to 90%), and not as fast as below a millisecond or so (all devices are tested to these limits).

If you get higher current, check for assembly shorts, solder splashes.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Observer ccthx1138
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Austin.  That's great.  Thanks for your help.  So, current-limit, instant-on it is.

I'm not sure how fast my bench supply reaches voltage on pressing the power supply 'output' SW. 

But I understand the tight constraints on dV/dT are for successful FPGA start-up, and not a constraint that must be met to prevent damage to the IC, is that correct? 

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Correct,

Only way to damage is to exceed the absolute maximum limits in Table 1 of the data sheet.

Or zap it with ESD.

I suspect you know how to prevent that.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer ccthx1138
Observer

Jump to solution

Good to know.  Thanks, austin.

0 Kudos