UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor abfontao
Visitor

Problem when writing to the P30 strataflash on SP-605

Jump to solution

Good day everyone.

Following the great work by Ken Chapman on controlling a P30 Strataflash on the Spartan 3E starter kit via PicoBlaze, I'm willing to adapt it to the SP-605 board.

The key difference between both boards, apart from the ucf file, is the fact that on the sp-605 board, the memory only accepts 16-bit-wide words, whereas on the 3e board, it was up to the user to select an 8-bit or 16-bit functionning. Since PicoBlaze is a 8-bit-processor, Ken Chapman wisely chose to do it using the 8 bit mode. But in my case, I must extend it to 16 bits.

So far, there's no problem at erasing and reading the memory. The trouble comes when writing: when I order the memory to write a given word in a given memory address, it always will write in that address the result of the previous data stored in the flash AND the new one. For example: if i've just erased the memory (all bits = 1), the written data will always be ok, since XXXX AND FFFF = XXXX. But it doesnt obviously work for the rest of the cases.

I've come back to the code (both psm and vhd) thousends of times and haven't been able to find the mistake. I've also re-read many times the memory datasheet (in case there's a special functionning that I haven't taken into account) but no clue.

Any idea on the matter?

Thanks in advance for the help

Regads,

Alfonso.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor abfontao
Visitor

Re: Problem when writing to the P30 strataflash on SP-605

Jump to solution

I answer myself:

Being a NOR Flash, the behaviour it shows is exactly what it's expected from it. So the problem is not a problem, but the real world.

Solution: erase it before writing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Visitor abfontao
Visitor

Re: Problem when writing to the P30 strataflash on SP-605

Jump to solution

I answer myself:

Being a NOR Flash, the behaviour it shows is exactly what it's expected from it. So the problem is not a problem, but the real world.

Solution: erase it before writing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos