UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dddorinel
Visitor

S3E == image from MicroSD == image processing == send to VGA

Hello!

I want to take an image from a micro SD card, make some processing (e.g  black and white, blur, convolution etc.)  and then see it on de screen of my CRT Monitor.

Questions:

1)   Is it possible to do it whitout a microprocessor? If yes, how?

2)   Where can i find a concrete example how to program each component? e.g.  how do i configure the PMOD? how can i work with the image's pixels ?

I'm a beginer and i find that most of the documents present on the xilinx.com site are uncomprehensive for me. 

Thankyou! 

Dorin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: S3E == image from MicroSD == image processing == send to VGA

dddorinel wrote:

Hello!

I want to take an image from a micro SD card, make some processing (e.g  black and white, blur, convolution etc.)  and then see it on de screen of my CRT Monitor.

Questions:

1)   Is it possible to do it whitout a microprocessor? If yes, how?

Yes, it's possible. How? Well, that really depends on exactly what you want to do. Saying you want to do "some processing" is remarkably vague.

2)   Where can i find a concrete example how to program each component? e.g.  how do i configure the PMOD? how can i work with the image's pixels ?

What's a PMOD? How many pixels? I have seen some simple video-processing examples  (LUTs for color-space mapping, etc) but you need to be a whole lot more specific.

I'm a beginer and i find that most of the documents present on the xilinx.com site are uncomprehensive for me. 

Xilinx is the FPGA vendor. The whole point of FPGAs is so that the engineers can implement their own special-sauce logic. To that end, there is an infinite number of ways to do things in an FPGA, and it's unreasonable to think that Xilinx (or Altera, or Lattice, or whomever) will have an application note that solves your particular homework problem.
----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor dddorinel
Visitor

Thankyou for answering.

I'll be more explicit: 

-  I have a S3E Starter Kit  an a  Micro-SD Slot (Push-to-Eject type which connects through the Xillinx/Digilent "PMOD" style 6-Pin Header)  

-  I want to take a picture from a phone's camera (320x240) , make it Black&White, Remove R, G, B, then Dilation and a Erodate.

-  After that i wnat to show the image (originsl and modified) on my CRT Monitor.

-  Using Xilinx ISE 9.2i

For a start I would like to know how can a read the img.jpg from my card and display it on my monitor.

After this i would like to know how can I read, modify and compare pixels from the photo.

I do not want for someone to do my homework. i just want a little guidance.

Dorin

0 Kudos
Visitor dddorinel
Visitor

i have tested the video tutorial from  fmac and now i want to modify a pixel. how can i change one???

for exemple to make a green pixel a red one.

can you give me some advices?

0 Kudos
Teacher eilert
Teacher

Hi Dorin,

that's some big thing you chose for a beginners project. :-)

First of all, for reading a (micro) SD-card you can use the simple SPI protocol. 

You will quite definitely need some microprocessor(core) to handle the FAT file format on the card.

Then, you also need a JPEG decoder core. Hope you find some ready made core for free somewhere.

Oh yes, since the BRAM won't be sufficient you need a SD-RAM controller to access the dynamic RAM on the S3E board.

If you make a Microblaze design with the EDK you get most of the modules you need, and can do the jpeg decoding in software.

Once you have the decoded raw pixels in your memory, it's becoming quite simple.

Just feed the data from the memory through your image processing algorithms and send the results to your video output, provided that you have generated proper sync signals etc. .

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Visitor dddorinel
Visitor

thank you for your response

i know it is a big project. for the beggining i want to modify some pixels.

i tried and i made a pixel/ block of pixels to change from yellow to white ( in the tutorial)

now i want to apply a mask over a pixel : something like in dilation    ---if the curent pixel is black then other 4 pixels will be made black (uppper, lower, left, right pixels)

any ideas of how to adress other pixels when i am at current pixel?

0 Kudos