cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Signals coming out of Spartan-3 XC3S1500-4FG320 Differential Output Buffer distorted

Hi,

I tried to convert my single ended signal (SClk_P) to Diff Signals using Spartan 3 generic differential output buffer below:

OBUFDS_SCLK_P : OBUFDS
generic map (
IOSTANDARD => "DEFAULT")
port map (
O => SClk_P_P, -- Diff_p output (connect directly to top-level port)
OB => SClk_P_N, -- Diff_n output (connect directly to top-level port)
I => SClk_P 
);

After implementation, the input SE signal (SClk_P) is correct, but the diff output signal (SClk_P_P or SClk_P_N) is distorted.

Attach are scope captures of the SE input and Diff output.

The top trace is chip_select active high

The middle trace is clock

The bottom trace is data.

On the diff output capture, it seems the clock signal is coupled to the chip_select trace.

What could possibly be the cause of this problem? The issue is independent of frequency either in KHz or MHz.

Thank you.

Buffer_Input_Output_3MHz_capture.JPG
0 Kudos
4 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

The scope traces look like logic analyser captures, not analogue waveforms.  Suggest you generate proper scope waveforms which show signal amplitude, edge shape, and trigger voltage relative to the signal being probed.  Then let's see what you've got.

Also, please describe the IOSTANDARD being used for the outputs, and the VCCO supply voltage.  And any termination applied to the signals.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the signals captured with analog scope and they show the right response.

These signals are mapped to LVDS_25. Does the IOVCC has to be 2.5V, can I supply them with 3.3V IOVCC?

I do not have any termination externally.

Thanks.

Diff_P_output.jpg
0 Kudos
jheslip
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you describe the scope shot above, you say the middle trace is CLK, this looks correct is there still a problem with it?

If there is try making it single ended again to ensure the single Ended CLK is as you are expecting.

-J
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it's not a problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos