UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie bottyguy

Spartan-6 configuration sizes

I'm looking for a table that shows the number of configuration bits required for Spartan-6 devices, I've found tables for Spartan-3 and Virtex but not Spartan-6.  Anyone know where I can find this?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Spartan-6 configuration sizes

b,

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf

page 87, and page 88, Table 5.22.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

You will no doubt have many many more questions regarding the care and feeding of the Spartan 6 devices you are using in your design.  NOW would be a good time to find, download, and read the many many manuals and other docs which describe the Spartan 6 devices and how they work.

You might also want to take the website's 'search' facility for a spin.  It can be quite helpful (but only if you use it).

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie bottyguy

Thanks Austin,

I've had that document open all afternoon and for some reason never found that table (Including Acrobat searching).

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In case it helps, ADEPT(http://mysite.verizon.net/jimwu88/adept/) displays the configuration size for the selected device.  Take a look this blog for more details: ADEPT Special Pin Setup Window

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

b,

OK.  I just clicked on the link I posted, and turned to page 88, and there it was.

If you can not do that, then I can be of no help whatsoever.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Newbie jkapcio

Austin,

Not the most helpful response - I also had a problem finding this table.

Why not include this table on the Platform Flash page like this link for the Spartan 3 family:

http://www.xilinx.com/publications/products/config_mem/PROMS_Spartan3.pdf?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=800&width=600

Or add another sheet for the Spartan 6 and other families.

0 Kudos
Newbie roer

I aggre. Har to find //Roger

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

All,

Placing the same information in multiple places is a nightmare for documentation control:  it is very bad practice.  If anything changes, you have to find everyplace it appears, and change it everywhere.  That is to be avoided at all costs.

I stand by my statement:  if you can't click on the link I provide, then I can't help you.

Navigating the web pages, and the documentation may be a challenge for the newcomer -- I admit that.  Xilinx has been in business since 1984-1985, so there is a massive amount of 'stuff' to wade through if you know nothing at all.  I really apologize that we have been (and still are) so incredibly successful.

But, if you work your way through a demo board, like the SP601, work all the exercises, all the demos, read all the documents, you will soon get the "hang" of the system that is used, and subsequent parts will be far less of a challenge.

As Curchill said of a representative democracy "it is the worst system known, except for all the others."  The documentation at xilinx.com is the best we know how to do:  and, we take inputs, and make changes from time to time to make it better.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor rsavoie
Visitor

Hi Austin,

I'm looking looking at the pages and table you reference: pp. 87-88, table 5.22, in User Guide 380.  All I find there is a table of device resources and a somewhat complicated description of configuration packets.  I don't see a list of Spartan 6 devices and maximum configuration bitstream sizes.  Am I missing something?    Maybe it existed in a previous version of the document?  Mine is: UG380 (v2.3) July 6, 2011.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor rsavoie
Visitor

Never mind, I found it. Table 5.5 of UG380 on pp. 69-70.  

I have to say: it also took me about a day of searching to find this thing.  Not sure why - now that I have it, it seems obvious.   Maybe it needs to be move up closer to the front of the document?  

Cheers, 

Ray

0 Kudos
Newbie tonesw

If you go to:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/config_sol/s6/config_s6.htm
there's hypertext for "Platform Flash" but the link is broken. Is there any intention to fix that?

The UG380 table on page 69 is a good stake in the ground for knowing what minimum size device to target.

Searching the Digikey section, "Memory - Configuration Proms for FPGA's" and narrowing down your choices from there might help.

In my opinion, Austin still has an attitude problem, though.

Sometimes, the answers might be there, but wading through the extensive documentation to find them can take a long time, so that's what forums are for, to help make the process more efficient. No need to get snippy.

- Tones

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

there's hypertext for "Platform Flash" but the link is broken. Is there any intention to fix that?

First you have to let the website guys know there's a problem.  There's a 'contact us' button in the top right corner of this page.  Hit the 'website feedback' link, and describe the problem (or send them a link to your forum post).

In my opinion, Austin still has an attitude problem, though.

I don't think you know Austin well enough to judge.  One forum post exchange is not enough to know, judge, or define the man.

Sometimes, the answers might be there, but wading through the extensive documentation to find them can take a long time, so that's what forums are for, to help make the process more efficient.

If you take the time to read the New Users Forum README thread, you will find the following useful information:

1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual?  Do you know where to find the manual?

Many of the questions are answered with a simple and quick search of the FPGA family datasheet, or a related document. Of course, the first problem is locating the correct document -- there are 100s of them.  For most current software and device families, Xilinx provides a software tool for finding and accessing useful documents.  This tool is called DocNav, it installs on your PC, and you can download it with this .ZIP file link.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Tones,

I apologize if I have offended you.  I was getting a bit grouchy last week.

I need to occasionally step back, and take a deep breath.

This learning FPGA technology is really hard stuff.  The amount of information is so vast, that just knowing where to find the information is a great skill to develop.

I apologize that Xilinx is so successful that there is such information (just joking, but its true).

My favorite tool is Google:  it usually finds the information I am looking for far faster than anything else.  By searching the www, it finds useful information relating to the Xilinx parts at the hundred of universities around the world that are teaching classes using our parts.  It finds papers from conferences, and, of course, it find the information on Xilinx.com.

You were right, I was out of line.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

It is funny that I was looking for spartan6 configuration bit sizes and googling it. And found myself reading this page and having a smiley in my face :)

Now ug380 has a new version (v2.9) and the information is in Table 5-5 page 77. And it is funnier that it took some time for me and my friends to find the information. Maybe the ""problem"" in the document is that this information is one of the first things to be searched and it is written in a chapter named "Configuration Details".

If someone, for any purpose, comes to this page just go to the ug380 and search for "bitstream length".

bbinb

0 Kudos