UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor martin.jandl
Visitor

Spartan3e High Speed Camera LVDS interface

Hello all. I would like to interface High Speed CMOS chip to Spartan 3E Starter Kit. CMOS chip has 12x LVDS outputs 10-bit, 620Mbps each. Does anybody have experiences and can confirm that Spartan3E fpga (xc3s500e) is able to handle such inputs on that rate? Im new to fpga so I will be happy for any help. Thanx a lot. Martin.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Spartan3e High Speed Camera LVDS interface

Hi Martin (all the best people are called that :-)

Sounds like hard work for a Spartan - do you have access to the clock that comes with the LVDS outputs, or a divided down version of it (see XAPP485 for something that may be useful)?  Or is the clock embedded in the datastream?

What do you intend to do with your 7+Gbps of data afterwards?  Is it a high-frame-rate or high resolution sensor (or both!)?  If you don't mind me asking, which imager is it?

I'm currently working on a single channel deserialiser, "only" 324Mbps, self synchronising from embedded timing information.  It's looking reasonably doable. 

XAPP485 claims you can do 666Mbps per line... I have a working design based on that appnote that deserialises 4 streams of Camera Link data.

Cheers,
(another) Martin
Martin Thompson
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/electronic-hardware
0 Kudos
Visitor martin.jandl
Visitor

0 Kudos
Visitor martin.jandl
Visitor

Ahoj Martine! :-)
Thanks for your answer. Looks we are working in similar branch www.e-com.cz.
Lupa1300-2 is 1280x1024, 500fps (see datasheet if you are interested) is new from Cypress. There is LVDS clock input 310MHz and some sync output. There are 10 dots in picture and only what i have to do with picture is evaluate 10 x,y coordinates.
Regarding XAPP485 I dont understand what means -4/-5 speed grade. Are all lines independent running on 666Mbps or it is mentioned as parrlel lines 666Mbps together?

Thank You. Regards Martin.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

The speed grade is the last part of the FPGA part number.  -4 is slower and cheaper than -5, but it looks like the -4s can do 622Mbps per pair anyway, so it looks like deserialising the data will be OK! 

The sync channel looks interesting also!

Cheers,
Martin
Martin Thompson
0 Kudos
Visitor wismerhill
Visitor

Hi,

The sensor has been designed with Virtex4 as a host in mind. Check xapp705.
0 Kudos
Visitor martin.jandl
Visitor

Hi,
thank you. Also Cypress will release VHDL Block for virtex4 this week. We are working on implementation to Spartan3 to save some money.
Martin
0 Kudos
Newbie mandd1

is it possible to run Lupa-1300 or other cmos/ccd sensor at a lower resolution and higher frame rate?
ie
1280H x 1024V RESOLUTION
1310720 = pixels/per/frame
x  500   frames  (fps)
655 360 000  pixels / second

would it be possible to run at ?

644H x 472V RESOLUTION
327680 = pixels/per/frame
x 2000 frames  (fps)
655 360 000  pixels / second

0 Kudos
Visitor wismerhill
Visitor

lupa1300-2 offers windowing with speed increase in x and y, you can also read up to 4 random windows at once
0 Kudos

hi,

i was also looking for this problem.

i would like to use spatan 3a dsp, it seems iserdes module are not available for this product.

i ve vhdl  code for lvds  but i could not run on spartan family.

did  anyone solve this problem?

regards

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

What speed are you trying to interface at?  Are you using the imager described above?

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Thompson
0 Kudos

hi martin,

thanks for the answer.

I also was looking to interface lupa sensor to spartan 3 a dsp.

it has ,as was you khow 12 lvds io running at 620 Mhz. every channel is a 10 bit channel.

Ive the code to deseliazing data using Virtex 4 family, but i would like to use  spartan 3a  to save money.

could please let me khow how to handle this speed with spartan3a dsp,

regards

Luca Monopoli

0 Kudos
Highlighted

can any body help me...........how i interface 10 bit output digital camera with spartan 3E..??its show live on monitor....??????

0 Kudos
Visitor shuklaankita
Visitor

hi frnds 

I am trying to interface lvds camera on video starter kit(virtex-4 n virtex-2)  . I am not sure how to use I2C interface for that.

I tried developing UART code for this but dont know how  to use lvds signals . I wanted it for standalone mode of camera.Please help me out.

Thanks

Ankita

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@shuklaankita wrote:

hi frnds 

I am trying to interface lvds camera on video starter kit(virtex-4 n virtex-2)  . I am not sure how to use I2C interface for that.

I tried developing UART code for this but dont know how  to use lvds signals . I wanted it for standalone mode of camera.Please help me out.

Thanks

Ankita

LVDS is a signaling standard and no protocol is described or implied. 

Then you talk about I2C, and you talk about UART.  You talk about Virtex-4 and Virtex-2.

So you need to get straight about:

a) what interface is necessary to capture data from the camera,

b) what interface is necessary to send commands and configuration data to the camera,

c) What FPGA family you're actually going to use,

d) Where you'll send the image data once they are read out of the camera.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor shuklaankita
Visitor

I need to capture an image using the lvds camera and basicaaly I am using video starter kit which has both virtex2 and virtex4 fpga and I need to store the image on virtex 2 so I2C interface is used to intialize the camera .

I am not able to get the logic to use camera.

Sorry for  not specifying the problem correctly

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@shuklaankita wrote:

I need to capture an image using the lvds camera and basicaaly I am using video starter kit which has both virtex2 and virtex4 fpga and I need to store the image on virtex 2 so I2C interface is used to intialize the camera .

I am not able to get the logic to use camera.

Sorry for  not specifying the problem correctly

You still haven't specified WHICH camera and EXACTLY what it uses for a data format. AGAIN: LVDS just specifies signal level and termination and has NOTHING to do with data format or protocol.

Suffice it to say that if you Read The Fscking Data Sheet for the camera you will learn about its data interface and from that you can design a proper interface.

Same for the I2C interface. I2C is easy. Read the NXP user guides which describe its operation. Design a master which can talk to the camera.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos