Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christian.geng
Visitor
Visitor

flash on Spartan-3A DSP 1800A Edition.

Hi everybody,

- I am having the following problem:
I have written an application and want to boot it from the internal flash instead
of programming the fpga from the SDK each time. In other words:
How do I replace the standard LED program with my own program when turning the power on?

Xapp 1053 suggests that I will have to use the Serial Flash, and that the Spartan-3A DSP 1800A
comes with Intel S33 Serial Flash (QH25F640S33).

Anyway, I have been following the instructions using indirect approach via IMPACT in xapp974.
I manage to write a prom file, but I cannot select the Flash mentioned abote, but the flash  
I mentioned abote is not available.

What am I missing here? Or is the builtin hello world application not in SPI at all, and I have to go for BPI?
Or do I have to apply the direct programming approach?

Any help is very much appreciated

Christian.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
iguo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Christian,

See this AR:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/29965.htm

You should open a webcase for this and the support Engineer will send the utility to you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
bhfletcher
Voyager
Voyager

You might find the following thread helpful:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/program-upload-on-spartan-3a-dsp-1800-board/td-p/9740

Avnet has instructions posted for programming the SPI Flash here

www.em.avnet.com/spartan3a-dsp --> Support Files & Downloads --> > Programming the Intel S33 Flash

Bryan

0 Kudos
christian.geng
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you both for the information

I will try to summarize in the hope that I understand everything correctly.

a) Direct Approach

This approach is described in xapp1053. The problem with that was for the that my ISE13 has probably updated driver firmware that causes the xip util to fail.

Is that what iguo suggests? I have opened the webcase and I imagine that I might get an updated version of xapp1053

b) Indirect Approach

In general, the indirect approach via impact is not really well supported for the S33, and Xilinx will not be able to change this in the future. The only possibility here would be to try and replace the S33 with the M25.  This is what Bryan suggests here:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/program-upload-on-spartan-3a-dsp-1800-board/td-p/9740

Is that right? Please correct me if I am on the wrong track.

Thanks a lot again!

C. 

0 Kudos
bhfletcher
Voyager
Voyager

I believe you are correct on both accounts.  Another option for the Direct Approach is to use an older version of ISE for your work.

Bryan

0 Kudos