Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtfinch
Adventurer
Adventurer

Abnormal program termination

Vivado 17.3 Synthesis quits with the following error:

Abnormal program termination (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Please check 'C:/Cores5/N4V128/N4V128.runs/synth_1/hs_err_pid13128.log' for details

The log file just says to refer to the dump file.

Is there a way to work around this ?

(OS: Windows 10).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@rtfinch Many times when I see this, it is solved with cleaning up your PATH environment variable.

Try reducing it to the minimum, perhaps try setting it explicitly on a shell and starting vivado in the command line to see if it works better.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
aher
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rtfinch

Is this issue resolved with suggestion provided above? If not can you share synthesis log file or if possible testcase?

Please let us know if you have any updates on this.

-Shreyas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
yeelinkoh
Visitor
Visitor

Hi

I'm also encountering "abnormal program termination" when using Vivado 2017.3. The same project compiles fine in Vivado 2016.2.

Attached is the dump file. Any help or debug information highly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
pulim
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @yeelinkoh

Can you share the testcase to further debug this issue?

0 Kudos
yeelinkoh
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @pulim, this is a relatively huge proprietary project. Let me see if I can isolate the issue and create a simpler testcase.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
yeelinkoh
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @pulim

FYI, the issue has been resolved. Turns out that Vivado 2017.3 crashed when our SRAM code was wrongly modeled, hence got mapped to distributed RAM instead of blockRAM. Because the size as huge, I think the tool somehow ran out of memory.

I was able to isolate this issue because when running using Vivado 2016.2, the tool didn't crash but showed me a warning which gave me the clue to finding the culprit. Perhaps Xilinx could still investigate the discrepancy between how 2016.2 vs 2017.3 handles this scenario.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pulim
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @yeelinkoh

Good to hear that you were able to figure out the root cause for this issue.

If you can share the module or sample RAM code which is inferred as distributed RAM rather than BRAM, this will help us to further investigate this issue.If you can share the testcase please let me know, I will send you ezmove link where you can share the files with Xilinx.

0 Kudos