UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use "dont touch" to stop ports and logic from being optimized out.

Hi,

I have a project, to be implemented in Zynq platform, in which some huge frame buffers with many address and data I/O need to be outside of the logic and hence the related huge number of pins are I/O of my module top level.

With so many I/O implementation fails due to too many I/O ports at top level and not enough pins on the FPGA.

I plan to make a wrapper for my top level in which i plan to keep the ports related to the memory buffer as wires and not as I/O. I will be forced to keep them danging as I cannot instantiate a memory and connect it (Then it will try to synthesize that huge memory and fail consequently). I am trying to do this still, but will this strategy see the dangling ports and optimize out the connected logic in my IP/RTL since it is connected to ports that are dangling. If yes, what is the best way to handle this ? Should I just apply dont touch to the logic and module instances that are connected to these ports ?

Also, I think this might be a common problem faced when using huge memory buffers that communicate with I/O. Keeping the buffers internal leads to BRAM over utilization, keeping them outside leads to too many address and data I/O added and hence I/O over utilization. What is the recommended practice ?

Thanks a lot in advance and sincerely

Bhawandeep Singh

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Can I use "dont touch" to stop ports and logic from being optimized out.

@bhawandeepsingh

If this is a top module then OOC mode cannot be used. 

You can create a wrapper and mark other ports(in submodules) and logic as DONT_TOUCH, but please verify the design functionality as many ports and nets are not used tool may still optimize some logic. 

Thanks
Anusheel 

Thanks
Anusheel
0 Kudos