UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell 'cmpy_v6_0_12_viv'

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Observer
Accepted Solution

Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell 'cmpy_v6_0_12_viv'

I am attempting to use both Complex Multiplier (cmpy_v6_0_12) and DDS Compiler (dds_compiler_v6_0_13) IP in Vivado 2017.1. I am able to create the IP using the the GUI wizard and then synthesize the design. I want to generate an EDIF netlist with a stub file, and a DCP so that I have the option later to either use the EDIF or the DCP (I know the DCP contains an EDIF). Later, I attempt to use the EDIF netlist (or DCP file) in a non-project/ooc design and run synthesis and implementation.

I have tried the following:
1:
Create IP from Catalog using GUI
Synthesize in OOC mode
write_checkpoint
open checkpoint in GUI
write_edif
write_vhdl -mode port ...

2:
Create IP from Catalog using GUI
Synthesize in global mode
Open Synthesized design
write_checkpoint
write_edif

write_vhdl -mode port ...

Then, in another design where the IP module is instantiated in VHDL, I read_edif and read the VHDL stubfile (or just read_checkpoint), and then I run synthesis and write the edif/dcp again.

Synthesis succeeds with the following warning:
CRITICAL WARNING: [Project 1-486] Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell 'cmpy_v6_0_12_viv' instantiated as 'rv/worker/inst_ComplexMult/U0/i_synth' [......./cmpy_0.edf:132]

I get this same warning if I create a post-synthesis project and "Open Synthesized Design" with the only source-file being the EDIF file from IP's synthesis.

When I open up the netlist or checkpoint after this synthesis, I see one of the sub-modules of each IP as a Black Box. In the case of Complex Multiplier, I have the following hierarchy in the netlist:
".../myInst_ComplexMult/U0/i_synth". Here, "U0" is an instance of "cmpy_v6_0_12", and "i_synth" is an instance of "cmpy_v6_0_12_viv" and is a BLACK BOX.

This black box ultimately leads to the following error during opt_design:
ERROR: [DRC INBB-3] Black Box Instances: Cell '......./worker/inst_ComplexMult/U0/i_synth' of type '......../worker/inst_ComplexMult/U0/i_synth/cmpy_v6_0_12_viv' has undefined contents and is considered a black box.  The contents of this cell must be defined for opt_design to complete successfully.

I run into a nearly identical situation with DDS Compiler.

I have researched this error for ~16 hours and encountered many threads/answers, but none of them have helped me to resolve this. I welcome any responses (even ones referencing threads I may already have visited). To replicate the synthesis warning I just create the cmpy or dds_compiler IP, synthesize it, write_edif, create a post-synth project containing only that edif, and open the synthesized design. To recreate the error, I instantiate the IP in a vhdl design, read in the vhdl stub and edif (or just dcp), and run synthesis and implementation.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell 'cmpy_v6_0_12_viv'

Hi @dbanks12

As these are encrypted IP's, Vivado's "write_edif" command actually produces multiple files.

One is a plain text wrapper file, the other will contain encrypted EDIF for areas protected by security attributes. Please ensure you are reading in both of these EDIF files.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

All Replies

@dbanks12

This issue occurs when opened synthesized design does not load IP checkpoints. Use "Open Synthesized Design" and see whether these checkpoints were loaded or not.

After using write_checkpoint on fully loaded design, the flow should work.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @dbanks12

As these are encrypted IP's, Vivado's "write_edif" command actually produces multiple files.

One is a plain text wrapper file, the other will contain encrypted EDIF for areas protected by security attributes. Please ensure you are reading in both of these EDIF files.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Observer

Thank you @vemulad and @anusheel. When including EDIF files, I now include both the edif generated as well as the EDN file that is generated as a side effect. I also had to make sure there was no "syn_black_box" or other lines in the stub file indicating a black box. I am not sure why it was not working with the DCP files though....

I am now running into a different but related issue. I am attempting to simulate and run the implemented design. No matter what inputs I give the two modules (cmpy and dds_compiler), their outputs always remain undefined. The demo testbenches work after generating the IP, but when I use the IP cores in my own design in non-project/ooc mode, their outputs are always undefined. I tried mimicking the testbench's functionality in my non-project design, but the outputs remained undefined no matter what.

For simulation, I am including the VHDL file underneath "Simulation" for each IP. So, I am including dds_compiler_0.vhd and cmpy_0.vhd. Is there something I am missing?

Observer

I will close this since my original question was answered. I have opened up a new thread with my new question: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Simulated-IP-modules-have-undefined-outputs/td-p/773211