Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Difference between AXI interconnect and AXI smartconnect

Jump to solution

Hi,

first I'm new with the AXI Interface. What is the difference between the AXI Interconnect und AXI Smartconnect IP core? Which need I if I want to connect the DDR4-MIG to the AXI interface of the Zynq.

Thank you for your help.

br

martin sauer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @msau,

Both IP have the same functionnalities.

AXI SmartConnect is the successor to AXI Interconnect, it uses a different IP technology. You should use it for any new design.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @msau,

Both IP have the same functionnalities.

AXI SmartConnect is the successor to AXI Interconnect, it uses a different IP technology. You should use it for any new design.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I created a design with a MIG and microblaze. The automatic routing and block automation created both and interconnect and a smartconnect. Are they both needed or is Vivado simply inefficient in this case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @simchask,

I guess it depends in some case. I might be that some IPs are still expecting the AXI interconnect.

If you have further query, please create a new topic

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

I wouldn't say go blindly for AXI SmartConnect because last time I checked (about 10 months ago) SmartConnect was much bigger than AXI Interconnect and because our FPGA was very short on ressources, we went back to AXI Interconnect.

But right now I am working on a different projetct and this time I need a very fast version and I don't care much about ressources. So how about the frequency performance ?

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

I just read the release notes of Vivado 2019.1 and it mentions that the SmartConnect IP has been improved:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado.html#new

"SmartConnect: Improved area efficiency, especially for small configurations and AXILite endpoints"

It makes sense to me as it's exactly what I had experienced. I had a small FPGA using quite a lot of i2c IPs connected to my Zynq CPU through AXI lite interfaces and AXI Interconnect IP. When I tried to change from AXI Interconnect to SmartConnect the ressources used increased a lot (I don't remember exactly how much but it was pretty huge). On the other hand I did the same replacement in a system connecting several PCIe x8 IPs and an HBM interface, and SmartConnect wasn't really bigger and it gave much better timing results.

So with the latest version I guess there is a good chance that SmartConnect is better optimized than the AXI Interconnect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

There is still another reason for using AXI Interconnect instead of Smart Connect. AXI Interconnect can give you an AXI Lite interface while it looks like Smart Connect only provides full AXI-4 interfacing.  This is a problem if you have written cores, say a register file, that usis AXI Lite.  It is much easier to work with AXI Lite than the full interface, something like 19 signals versus about thirty.

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

SmartConnect can give you AXI Lite interfaces too. It auto configures to fit any type of AXI interface actually. The only thing as I mention in my last comment (if you read it...) is that the AXI Lite interfaces used to take more ressources in SmartConnect compared to AXI Interconnect. And that's what they changed recently if you look at the SmartConnect version history. I haven't checked yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it now takes the same ressources as the AXI Interconnect, making the latter obsolete, SmartConnect having better performance and same area.

0 Kudos