Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

FSM extraction "sequential" causes timing loop

Hi,

I am in the process of porting a working complex design from Altera Quartus to Xilinx Vivado. I am using a state machine to control access to a BRAM memory block. During synthesis, the FSM extraction applies the "sequential" encoding to my state register "cs". And suddenly, it reports a timing loop through "cs". Indeed there is a larger "loop" in the original design spanning multiple modules but it is actually broken by "cs" being a register.

If I use a different FSM extraction algorithm or disable it completely, no timing loop is reported and it synthesizes okay (haven't tried out on a physical board though).

I am afraid that I am not allowed to share the whole design and I am not sure whether I am able to produce a minimal example.

Did somebody else see this issue before? Since I am new to the Xilinx world, let me know if I can share some form of synthesis output to help investigating.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Without the code, there is little we can say. Why do you have a loop through several modules? why is it not pipelined more? How is CS created, is it in a clocked process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The code of the FSM looks like this:

logic [1:0] cs, ns, ps;
localparam idle=2'b00, counting=2'b01, bursting=2'b10;
// Advance the finite-state machine
always_ff @ (posedge memclock) begin
	if (reset) begin
		{cs, ps} <= {idle, idle};
	end else begin
		{cs, ps} <= {ns, cs};
	end
end
// Compute next state
always_comb begin
	ns = cs;
	case(cs)
		idle:
			if (external_input) begin
				if (external_input2) begin
					ns = counting;
				end else begin
					ns = bursting;
				end
			end
		counting:
			if (...) begin
			       ns = bursting;
			end
		bursting:
			if (...) begin
				ns = idle;
			end
		default:
			ns = 'x;
	endcase
end

assign external_output = cs==bursting | ps==bursting | cs==idle & ps==counting;

cs is the current state, ns the next state, and ps the previous state. external_input does combinatorially depend on external_output. So cs is set in a clocked process, which in my opinion should break any combinatorial loop. Note that the synthesis result knows an entry "cs" and "cs_reg" as well - if this helps.

It is not pipelined more to not add more latency when reading the RAM (the "user" is a microprocessor core). Of course I could pipeline more, but I do not see a reason for this until now. It was never the longest path during timing analysis and there is also barely any computation going on between external_output and external_input (basically one bit signal just to decide whether the memory is no longer busy and I can trigger a new access as soon as possible).

P.S.: To make things even more spooky, in the process of porting, I added an unrelated (to the reported loop), rather large module (many LUTs) which suddenly made the timing loop disappear.

P.P.S.: I am rather certain that this is a bug in the FSM extraction, very unfortunately there is no option to file a bug report.

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Which Vivado version are you using?

Indeed, without a test case, there is little we can do.

-vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am using Vivado 2019.2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Maybe you can offer a safe and secure way to upload a testcase?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please check the private message and send me your email box.

Then I'll send you an EZMOVE link to send your test case which is safe and secure.

-vivian

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

@SH  synthesize with -flatten_hierarchy full

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos