UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer id314159
Observer

Force LUT combinig?

Jump to solution

Dear Xilinx community,

I'm working on optimizing something as good as possible for the UltraScale+ fabric. At one point, I instantiate two LUT, one of which gets two inputs, the other gets four inputs, but both have one common input, i.e. in total, they require only 5 distinct inputs. In my understanding, this means that Vivado could combine both LUTs into a single LUT with 5 inputs, which uses both the O5 and O6 outputs. I included a template of that part of the code at the end.

However, when I implement my design, Vivado does NOT combine both LUTs into a single dual-output LUT.

I already found out about the "no_lc" option and people trying to prevent LUT combination, but is there any way to force Vivado to combine two LUTs? (I.e. something as a "DualLUT5"-primitive, attributes that must be set or so...)

Best regards

I_LUT2: LUT2
generic map(
    INIT    => "1110"
    )
port map(
    I0      => sig_a,
    I1      => sig_b,
    O       => res_a
    );

I_LUT4: LUT4
generic map(
    INIT    => "1111"&"1111"&"1111"&"1000"
    )
port map(
    I0      => sig_a,
    I1      => sig_c,
    I2      => sig_d,
    I3      => sig_e,
    O       => res_b
    );
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: Force LUT combinig?

Jump to solution

I do this all the time, but I directly instantiate the LUT6_2 element, so there's no issue with Vivado trying to do something funny.  I put a DONT_TOUCH attribute on the LUT6_2 and that basically ends the argument.   Vivado implements it precisely, and I can even lock down (using LOCK_PINS) the specific pins on the LUT inputs, so that the router doesn't shuffle things around.  

Try using LUT6_2 and you'll be happy.   I also use BEL attributes to specify where in the slice to put it.   It's totally LOCKED DOWN!     I suppose if I was really compulsive I could lock down the routing, but I haven't bothered so far.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Jump to solution
Hi, @Anonymous ,
You can try LUTNM constraint described in UG903.
A unique string name applied to two LUTs to control their placement on a single LUT site. Unlike HLUTNM, LUTNM can be used to combine LUTs that belong to different hierarchical cells.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

I do this all the time, but I directly instantiate the LUT6_2 element, so there's no issue with Vivado trying to do something funny.  I put a DONT_TOUCH attribute on the LUT6_2 and that basically ends the argument.   Vivado implements it precisely, and I can even lock down (using LOCK_PINS) the specific pins on the LUT inputs, so that the router doesn't shuffle things around.  

Try using LUT6_2 and you'll be happy.   I also use BEL attributes to specify where in the slice to put it.   It's totally LOCKED DOWN!     I suppose if I was really compulsive I could lock down the routing, but I haven't bothered so far.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Observer id314159
Observer

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk: Thank you very much for that, I think that is precisely what I was looking for. I was already wondering because there is no such thing as a LUT6_2 primitive in the language template window in Vivado, where many of the primitives can be found... (At least not in the CLB branch and I could not find anything like this elsewhere.)

@hongh: Also thank you for your suggestion. Do I get it right that with this approach, I would have to specify the exact site of the LUT(-s)? (I.e. I cannot simply say "Put this wherever you want, but put both of these at the same site"?) Although this gives even a lot more control over the design, this seems a bit extreme for my current situation.

0 Kudos
Observer id314159
Observer

Jump to solution
Small update: Apparently there IS a LUT6_2 primitive even in the language template window, but only for basically any FPGA architecture other than UltraScale+. Is there any reason for that (no LUT6_2 directly instantiable) or is it simply missing the entry for the US+?
0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

I wondered the same thing, so I quickly retargeted a project that uses LUT6_2 to the smallest Ultrascale+ device  (XCVU3P), and it seems to compile and route just fine.   So it appears to be an inadvertent exclusion in the language template.

The LUT6_2 is also in the Libraries Guide for Ultrascale, and there doesn't appear to be a separate library guide for Ultrascale+

Jump to solution
Hi, @Anonymous , @jmcclusk ,
LUT6_2 is listed for all Ultra device and KU+ device in the language Template, but only missed for VU+ device in the language Template.
I think it is inadvertent exclusion and I'll reflect it to factory.

Jump to solution
Hi, @Anonymous , @jmcclusk ,
LUT6_2 has been added for VU+ device in the language Template in the new version of Vivado .