Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

How to reset a varible in case statement

Jump to solution

Hello

I'm trying to design a general reset module for my FPGA controlled system and having trouble with the RESETbyte coming from computer through a UART_RX module. The UART_RX module receives different control commands from computer and RESET is one of them.

The planned structure is as below:

UART_RX receives BYTEs when they are sent from computer (START, STOP, RESET)

DEVICE_CONTROLLER (below) perform the process what the received byte will do. For Start, Stop and Period it is fine. Because Start and Stop reset each other and period is a stable value. When a new one received it is used so no problem. But the problem with Reset is, for my view, it must also reset itself in some way. When RESET byte is received it sends a bit '1' to a GENERAL RESET module which starts an FSM based reset process and keep the whole system in reset mode for 1 second. But since the  DEVICE_CONTROLLER left the RESET bit as '1' GENERAL RESET never leaves the reset process and system stucks. So for this structure I need to reset the RESET bit in DEVICE CONTROLLER case statement but how? Or if you suggest anyother usefull structure it will be very nice as well :)

Thanks in advance :)

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;
entity Device_Controller is
Port (	clk             : IN   STD_LOGIC  ;
	CTRL_BYTE       : IN   STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0)  ;
	RESET 		: OUT  STD_LOGIC  ;
	PERIOD 		: OUT  STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2 DOWNTO 0)  ;
	OPERATION	: OUT  STD_LOGIC );

end Device_Controller;

architecture Behavioral of Device_Controller is

signal s_clk 		: STD_LOGIC ;
	signal s_RESET		: STD_LOGIC ;
	signal s_CTRL_BYTE 	: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 DOWNTO 0) ;
	signal s_PERIOD		: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2 DOWNTO 0) ;
	SIGNAL s_OPERATION	: STD_LOGIC ;

begin

s_clk       <= clk ;
	RESET 	    <= s_RESET ;
	s_CTRL_BYTE <= CTRL_BYTE ;

process(s_clk, s_CTRL_BYTE)
	begin

if ( rising_edge(s_clk) ) then
	      case s_CTRL_BYTE is
when "01000001" => s_OPERATION <= '1' ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000010" => s_OPERATION <= '0' ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000011" => s_PERIOD <= "001" ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000100" => s_PERIOD <= "010" ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000101" => s_PERIOD <= "011" ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000110" => s_PERIOD <= "100" ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01000111" => s_PERIOD <= "101" ; s_RESET <= '0' ; when "01001000" => s_RESET <= '1' ;
when others => end case ; end if ; end process; OPERATION <= s_OPERATION ; PERIOD <= s_PERIOD ; end Behavioral;

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @florentw

Thank you for these two guys for their support. What a pity I didn't find chance to try them because I solved this issue using another way, holding system in reset mode and send another byte to reset the RESET mode to normal condition. It is a bit weird but gave me progress for my design. Just in case I'll try these two suggestions and I think they look better than my one :) and then mark as answer at least one (hope two answer is possible) because I don't want to mark before trying.

Best Wishes...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @macellan85,

Assuming that your 'reset' doesn't stop the clock, the simple approach of setting a sane default (no reset) is enough to make it work, for example like this:

process(s_clk)
    begin
        if rising_edge(s_clk) then
            s_RESET <= '0';

case s_CTRL_BYTE is
                when "01001000" =>
                    s_RESET <= '1' ;
            end case;
        end if;
    end;

Note that this assumes that s_CTRL_BYTE is changed during the reset procedure.

In case the reset procedure requires a 'single' clock cycle trigger  you can  simply code it like this:

process(s_clk)
        variable v_CTRL_BYTE := (others => '0');
    begin
        if rising_edge(s_clk) then
                when "01001000" =>
                    if v_CTRL_BYTE /= s_CTRL_BYTE then	
                        s_RESET <= '1';
                    end if;
            end case;
            v_CTRL_BYTE := s_CTRL_BYTE;
        end if;
    end;

Note: you do not need to safe the entire BYTE a flag is enough.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Visitor
Visitor

Another option that I've seen is to write a "reset controller" block.  It could take either the reset pulse described by @hpoetzl or the static level you're writing out now.  If I were writing it for your case, I'd have it take the system reset high whenever its "reset request" input goes high.  I would hold the system reset output high for some number of clock cycles, then ignore the "reset request" input until it goes low.  In other words, only respond when the request is high this cycle but was low the previous cycle, aka a rising-edge detector.

Enjoy!

- Ryan

0 Kudos

Hi @macellan85,

If the answers provided by Herbert and Ryan are enough for you, please mark the best one as solution to close the thread.

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @florentw

Thank you for these two guys for their support. What a pity I didn't find chance to try them because I solved this issue using another way, holding system in reset mode and send another byte to reset the RESET mode to normal condition. It is a bit weird but gave me progress for my design. Just in case I'll try these two suggestions and I think they look better than my one :) and then mark as answer at least one (hope two answer is possible) because I don't want to mark before trying.

Best Wishes...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi @macellan85,

As your issue is solved, please close the thread by marking you response as a solution.

Thanks,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos