UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Inferring DSP with no pipeline.

Hi,

I want to tell Vivado synthesizer to infer DSP with no pipelining in it. I do not want sequential DSP elements.
I am using Ultrascale (xcvu440) FPGA.

I have been given an RTL code and I cannot change the code. I just want to tell Vivado that while synthesizing, it should not put pipelines in the DSP elements.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Inferring DSP with no pipeline.

@shantan1 

Below you will find example-VHDL that infers use of the DSP48 for the multiplication, P = A * B, shown in VHDL process, PR1.  None of the pipeline registers found in the DSP48 will be enabled.

In process, PR2, you will see that I have used P2, A2, and B2 to pipeline P, A, and B outside the DSP48.  With this external pipelining, the DONT_TOUCH attribute on P, A, and B is necessary to prevent the DSP48 from automatically pipelining itself by pulling-in the registers associated with P, A, and B.  

constant NBIT : integer := 16;
    signal A,B,A2,B2 : unsigned((NBIT-1) downto 0);
    signal P,P2 : unsigned((2*NBIT-1) downto 0);
    --
    attribute DONT_TOUCH : string;
    attribute DONT_TOUCH of P,A,B : signal is "TRUE";
    attribute USE_DSP : string;
    attribute USE_DSP of P : signal is "YES";
    --
    PR1: process(clk1)
    begin
        if rising_edge(clk1) then