Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blowe
Visitor
Visitor

Long running synthesis using Vivado 2018.3 or 2019.2

Hello,

I have a large design that I have successfully converted from Altera to Xilinx. Unfortunately, the design which completes easily in Altera cannot synthesize in Xilinx Vivado. After "Start Cross Boundary and Area Optimization" it keeps running (using up large RAM resources) and ever seems to move past that phase. I have spent a month trying to figure this out and I have narrowed the problem down to the use of large 2 dimensional registers. The logic isnt all that complicated so I am assuming I cannot be the only one with this problem but I havent been able to see any discussions on xilinx forum regarding long running synthesis caused by a large number of 2 dimension registers

So the example below will cause Vivado to hang after "Start Cross Boundary and Area Optimizations" and the "Report RTL Partitions" show rather large instances for the module containing this example code.

For example a module that has these 2D registers. Where ITERATIONS is say 256. I am using a UltraScale+ 13P FPGA and default vivado synthesis settings.

reg [135:0] rUpGradient[ITERATIONS-1:0];
reg [135:0] rDownGradient[ITERATIONS-1:0];

reg [63:0] rResults[ITERATIONS-1:0];

and this pseudo code.

always @ (posedge Clk)
begin
   if (Reset) begin
       rNackError <= 0;
       rProcessError <= 0;
       for (index = 0; index < ITERATIONS; index = index + 1) begin 
           rUpGradient[index] <= 0;
           rDownGradient[index] <= 0;
           rResults[index] <= 0;
           rDifference[index] <= 0;  
       end
   end
   else begin
       rNackError <= 0;
       rProcessError <= 0;
       // new movements dectected
       if (rUpDxn) begin
           rDifference[rIndex] <= 0;
           if (rUpDownDxn) begin
                rResults[rIndex] <= (rDownMovement + rVelocity);
                 rUpGradient[rIndex] <= {rVelocity, rTokenId, rClientId, 8'h1};
           end
       else begin
           rResults[rIndex] <= (rVolatity + rVelocity);
           rDownGradient[rIndex] <= {rVelocity, rTokenId, rClientId, 8'h1};
      end
   end

// new movements accepted.
   if (rDownDirection) begin
       if (rUpDownDxn) begin  
            rUpGradient[rIndex] <= {rVolatity, rIndexCache, rNeighborCache,
            rFlagsCache[7:2], 1'b1,rFlagsCache[0]};
      end
      else begin
           rDownGradient[rIndex] <= {rDownMovement, rIndexCache, rNeighborCache,
           rDownFlags[7:2], 1'b1,rDownFlags[0]};
      end 
   end

// collisions of particlies
   if (rCollisionsEna) begin
      if (rUpDownDxn) begin
          rDifference[rIndex] <= ComputeDiffs(rVolatity, rDifference[rIndex]);
          rUpGradient[rIndex] <= {rVolatity,rIndexCache,rNeighborCache,
         rFlagsCache[7:3], 1'b1, rFlagsCache[1:0]};
      end
      else begin
          rDifference[rIndex] <= ComputeDiffs(rDifference[rIndex], rDownMovement);
          rDownGradient[rIndex] <= {rDownMovement,rIndexCache,rNeighborCache,
          rDownFlags[7:3], 1'b1, rDownFlags[1:0]};
      end
    end
  end
end

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Again, if I comment this out of a very large design, Vivado synthesis completes in about 40 mIns. If I don't it will run over night > 15 hrs until I stop it and hangs after the Cross bondary validation point.

thanks

Benard

8 Replies
hemangd

@blowe 

In any case, the tool should not hang or crash. 

Can you share this full RTL source file to reproduce the same issue at my end? So i can share with the development team to fix this issue.

If yes, I can share ezmove ftp link through which you can share the files. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
blowe
Visitor
Visitor

Hemangd,

thanks for the response. The design is very large with several modules. After a month of debugging, I do know that if I comment out logic in 2 modules using the a number of 2D registers, it goes past the Cross Boundary Analysis phase. I currently a vivado synthesis running with just one of the modules which causes the full design to hang. I am hoping I can reproduce the issue with just that module. My only worry is that perhaps without the entire system design, this module will synthesize. I can send you a vivado project containing that module, perhaps you can find something obvious in the code. So let me know the ftp link to send the vivado project.

Again, any hints or ideas why this occurs will be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
hemangd

@blowe 

I have sent you ezmove ftp through which you can provide the archived project. 

We have seen such hang/crash during cross-boundary area optimization phase but to getting particular that why it is getting hang in this case, we need to investigate it after reproducing it at our end. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
blowe
Visitor
Visitor

Got it. And sent the test vivado project. Hopefully that has enough information to point us in the right direction. It has been very frustrating converting into Vivado.

0 Kudos
hemangd

@blowe 

I have filed CR (Change Request) with the development team to fix this issue in a future release of Vivado. 

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

@hemangdcan you post what the problem is so others can avoid it?

0 Kudos
hemangd

@richardhead , there is no wrong usage. 

Tool's behavior is incorrect due to big 2D registers.

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

@hemangdIs this an issue on 2019.1?  Also, was it fixed by 2020.1?  I am having long synthesis due to cross boundary area optimization  even though I have -flatten_hierarchy none.  I am also using 2-d arrays and structurally connecting a small module to black box modules, and the build times are longer than I would expect, as the time it takes to synthesize in the non-project OOC synthesis is much longer than I would have guess based on the amount of logic generated.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***
0 Kudos