cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

Module reference unresolved- how do I fix?

Jump to solution

I have some RTL modules in my block design I created myself. Somehow the underlying code got disconnected from the modules. When I ran the ip status tool, it said "  module reference source file(s) not found. Add or correct the source in the project for the module reference."  I tried adding the original source files to the project but it still can't find them. How do I fix this? How do I re-assign the underlying HDL code to the RTL module symbol in the block design?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

My local FAE managed to help me fix the problem. It was the *.vpx file. Apparently there were some path entries still pointing to old project folders that I had deleted, after saving the project from within the tool under a new name and location. This looks like a bug in Vivado.

Steps to create the problem:

1.From within Vivado, Save project as <new name, new location>

2. exit Vivado

3. delete current project files

4. open the the project under its new name and location

5. verify that the source files in question are not found, even after re-adding them to project. They do not show up in the add module dialog.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
thakurr

Hi @bmoore

Did you make any changes in the RTL source files of module after you add the module to the block design as RTL referenced block.

Can you try deleting the RTL referenced modules from BD and after adding all the source files in the project, add them into BD as RTL referenced module.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that didn't work. I tried making a copy of the file under diff name, added to project, but the tool still could not find it when I tried to add as module.

0 Kudos
anusheel

@bmoore

Can you try removing the RTL block and then adding it back? Make sure you are adding a compatible RTL file in the block design.

Are you seeing the RTL module name in a pop-up window when you click "Add Module"? 

Thanks,

Anusheel

0 Kudos
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

That did not work. And no, the modules don't show up in the popup, even tho I did go thru the process of re-adding the source code to project. Instead the code shows up as "non-module files" in the source tree.

0 Kudos
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

The report IP status tools says:

P 'vpx_video_compact_gt_ctrl_0_1' recommendation(s):

* Add or correct the source in the project for the module reference.

How do I do this other than using the "add sources" wizard in the flow navigator (which deos not work)?

How do I determine the module reference?

0 Kudos
thakurr

Hi @bmoore

The only reason i can find here is that your file is under non-module section i.e your module  is not a valid module and having syntax error in it. Please have look in the RTL file once for any errors.

Are you using latest Vivado version 2017.4? If not, also try in that once.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

Rohit, there are no syntax errors in the source files. Understand, they once worked OK, but became "detached" from the BD symbol for some reason after I made some unrelated changes to the design. I am using 2017.4. So can anyone tell me how do I do a "resolve module reference"?

0 Kudos
thakurr

Hi @bmoore

I understand that it worked before but after you made changes to the design, the module file is showing under non-module section. Can you please try creating this project from sratch? If possible share the project to debug further.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

0 Kudos
bmoore
Contributor
Contributor

My local FAE managed to help me fix the problem. It was the *.vpx file. Apparently there were some path entries still pointing to old project folders that I had deleted, after saving the project from within the tool under a new name and location. This looks like a bug in Vivado.

Steps to create the problem:

1.From within Vivado, Save project as <new name, new location>

2. exit Vivado

3. delete current project files

4. open the the project under its new name and location

5. verify that the source files in question are not found, even after re-adding them to project. They do not show up in the add module dialog.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
xlabs
Visitor
Visitor
I know you resolved your Issue already but just wanted to share my experience with a similar issue. After performing a git operation on the repo, apparently something changed in the timestamps of rtl files that are part of block designs and that made vivado think the files were incorrect for a while. The top module was according to vivado not valid anymore and the compilation order jumped to manual and stayed there. After looking for some time and trying to find out why the references were not valid/unresolved while the files were at the right place with no syntax errors, I went to check the compilation order and found the problem. Once all set back to auto order and auto top all bd's were ok again. The proposed solution of removing the rtl blocks from the bd is maybe something you can do for small projects, but it is totally unacceptable when you have blocks into blocks and into blocks again, I mean to spend time rewiring stuff that It was working?...please

You have the steps to create the problem, any chance you have the steps to fix the problem?

0 Kudos
mvisser
Participant
Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience, changing the compile order to auto resolved the issue for me

0 Kudos