UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Ported ISE project to Vivado. Now Get Multiple Driver Nets error

Jump to solution

I ported a VHDL FPGA project over to Vivado by creating a new project, importing copies of all of the required sources, and creating new IP cores where necessary for clock gens and block memories. Everything is fine except I've got Multiple Driver Nets errors for code that hasn't changed. I made sure to create the block memory with the same settings that were used in ISE.

[DRC 23-20] Rule violation (MDRV-1) Multiple Driver Nets - Net
IMAGE_PROCESSOR/blob_detector1_inst/rect_ram_inst/U0/inst_blk_mem_gen/gnbram.gnativebmg.native_blk_mem_gen/valid.cstr/has_mux_b.B/doutb[0] has multiple drivers: IMAGE_PROCESSOR/blob_detector1_inst/window[upper_right_rect][index][0]_i_2__0/O, IMAGE_PROCESSOR/blob_detector1_inst/rect_ram_inst/U0/inst_blk_mem_gen/gnbram.gnativebmg.native_blk_mem_gen/valid.cstr/has_mux_b.B/doutb[0]_INST_0/O.

rect_ram_inst: entity work.blk_mem_gen_1
        port map (
            clka  => clk,
            ena   => rect_ram.enable_a,
            wea   => rect_ram.write_enable_a,
            addra => rect_ram.addr_a,
            dina  => rect_ram.data_in_a,
            clkb  => clk,
            enb   => rect_ram.enable_b,
            addrb => rect_ram.addr_b,
            doutb => rect_ram.data_out_b
        );

The rect_ram.data_out_b vector is only ever read so I don't understand why I'm getting this error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Ported ISE project to Vivado. Now Get Multiple Driver Nets error

Jump to solution

I solved the issue. There was logic that set the data out signal of one of the simple two-port memory entities to (others => 'Z') when certain conditions were met. Regardless of whether that should or shouldn't be done that way, ISE handled it just fine, without issue. For some crazy, crazy, crazy reason the people that worked on Vivado didn't just take what was working fine in ISE and improve upon it. For some super insane reason it seems like they tried to re-implement what was already fine in ISE so now you get obscure, unhelpful errors for no good reason. Thanks.

I'm currently working on another random, shouldn't-be-there issue where Vivado takes a simple boolean variable, somehow breaks it up into a std_logic_vector, uses a DSP for it for no good reason and then throws errors about it. Again, the logic was fine in ISE. Thanks Vivado!

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Jump to solution

@david12341234,

Open the elaborated design and check the connections of nets displayed in error message are actually multidriven. 

Check the similar forum threads:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Drc-23-20/td-p/572067

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Shown below are the signals in question. Looks like they are multidriven like Vivado says. That is no surprise. Now, getting back to the actual question, the issue is that they are not supposed to be, I didn't make them that way and they were fine in ISE. So to get back on track and reiterate the original question, why is this exact, unmodified code fine in ISE but not in Vivado?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @david12341234

Which version of Vivado are you using?

Try setting the -flatten_hierarchy to none and see whether you encounter the multi-driven issue.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Can you please share complete project . AS per the above instant you should not get multiple driver error. I think root cause of error somewhere else
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@david12341234

Are you using generate block to infer the logic(FFs)? We have seen few issues with the generate block resulting in incorrect multi-driver issue. These issues are fixed in 2017.1 and as a work around you need to modify the RTL.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

v2016.3 (64-bit)

I set -flatten_hierarchy to none but still got the error.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

No. I literally copied the relevant VHDL files from the ISE project to the new Vivado project and then generated new IP of the clock generators and block memories. I suspect that there is something about the new block memory that has created this error. How would I get more insight into what is going on?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Another error that may be related is the fact that Vivado never seems to recognize the block memories that were generated. In the editor it complains that they don't exist but during synthesis it doesn't complain that they don't exist but it instead gives about 100 critical synthesis warnings like this one:

[Synth 8-3352] multi-driven net IMAGE_PROCESSOR/blob_detector2_inst/row_label_ram[data_out_b][12] with 2nd driver pin 'IMAGE_PROCESSOR/blob_detector2_inst/row_label_ram_inst/doutb[12]'

Untitled.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@david12341234

From the above snapshot it looks like doutb should not result in multi-driver as the signal connected to it is different. Can you share the RTL file and .xci files of these memory IPs for us to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
Anusheel
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I zipped up blk_mem_get_1 which is the ip causing this issue. If it is commented out, the project builds fine.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I solved the issue. There was logic that set the data out signal of one of the simple two-port memory entities to (others => 'Z') when certain conditions were met. Regardless of whether that should or shouldn't be done that way, ISE handled it just fine, without issue. For some crazy, crazy, crazy reason the people that worked on Vivado didn't just take what was working fine in ISE and improve upon it. For some super insane reason it seems like they tried to re-implement what was already fine in ISE so now you get obscure, unhelpful errors for no good reason. Thanks.

I'm currently working on another random, shouldn't-be-there issue where Vivado takes a simple boolean variable, somehow breaks it up into a std_logic_vector, uses a DSP for it for no good reason and then throws errors about it. Again, the logic was fine in ISE. Thanks Vivado!

0 Kudos