Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppereira
Visitor
Visitor

Primitive not supported

Jump to solution

Hi There,

I have created a simple module that has 8 inputs and 8 outputs - it uses one primitive (8 inputs 1 output) for each output. When simulating all goes well, but when I try to synthetize Vivado throws me the error: "[Synth 8-27] primitive not supported". What am I doing wrong? Can't I build a module that uses primitives? In C this is simply a 256 bytes array.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hemangd

Hi @ppereira,

Yes, it will be better if you go with behavioral code using case or if else statements.

Regards,

hemangd 

Close this thread, if you do not have further queries on it. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Does Vivado tell you which primitive isn't supported? Which FPGA  are you targeting?

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ppereira

What primitives are you using?

Are you using User Defined Primitives? Check this thread for it. https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Synthesis-failing-on-user-defined-primitive/td-p/436000

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
ppereira
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the link. Yes - it's a user defined primitive. I think I will be better of with a case statement for the whole table. It will be simpler and perhaps Vivado deals with it better.

0 Kudos
ppereira
Visitor
Visitor

I am targeting Artix-7. I have reduced from 8 primitives down to only one to test Synthetize, but it doesn't work either. I will go with a case statement for the table and check if Vivado doesn't complain on synthetizing. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ppereira,

Yes, it will be better if you go with behavioral code using case or if else statements.

Regards,

hemangd 

Close this thread, if you do not have further queries on it. 

Regards,
hemangd

View solution in original post

0 Kudos