UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Synthesis stuck VIVADO 2018.3

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a severe problem with a medium size design for a VCU108 board using VIVADO 2018.3 on Windows 7.

Until a few days ago the system worked fine. Then I modified a submodule and wanted to test the whole design on the real FPGA.

Now the synthesis stucks after finishing only the Out-of-Context Modules.

The CPU usage is around 1 %, so I suppose that the system is no longer doing anything. I let it run for about 2 days with no result. I removed VIVADO and re-installed it, no result, the problem persists.

I know that other users have the same problem and I tried some of the proposals for fixing this, but without any success, for example switching off the virus protection tool.

Any idea to fix this? - I already wasted a lot of time

Norbert

SynthStuck2.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Synthesis stuck VIVADO 2018.3

Jump to solution

Hi again,

I finally fixed that issue after an untold number of working hours.

Before I am going to explain how I would like to go a little bit more far afield.

I am an experienced programmer and hardware engineer. I am professor for computer science at the University of Applied Sciences in Heilbronn (Germany) and I am teaching, besides others, microconroller development, programming languages and FPGA design.

I must say, the programmers who designed the synthesis tool for VIVADO would not have passed my programming language test. My students must comply with:

If an error occurs in software, tell the user:
- What is the reason for the error
- What does he have to do to fix it

Simply letting the user wait eternally with a stucking program is no go.

A few weeks ago a customer asked me for some changes in a large MS Access tool I had programmed for him in VBA years ago. When I re-opened the design after month of not caring about it, I encountered a problem in VBA. When I tried to compile, I got the message "User defined Type not defined" at a code location where a FileSystemObject should be instantiated. I looked at the VBA references and noticed that the "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" object was not available.

Since I know which file this is, I added the "scrrun.dll" manually to the project and it compiled. Nevertheless, when I executed the program, I got an "Run-time error '429': ActiveX component can't create object".

Since my customer did not want to have the changes really done at this time, I no longer did care about this and started working on my VIVADO project again, not realizing that the Office problem might be related to the VIVADO synthesis stuck problem, but it did.

So I tried to fix the VIVADO problem, doing this (which all is suggested in XILINX Community Forums):

- Remove and re-Install VIVADO

- Switch OFF antivirus tool

- Delete synth_1 directory

- Executing regsvr32 jscript.dll

- Remove and re-Install MS Office (several versions in my case)

- Removing and Re-Installing all Java tools

- Checking the ComSpec Environment Variable (is set correctly)

This all did not help, the problem persisted.

There was one hint in a post, saying start runme.bat from a command window in the synth_1 directory.

This yielded in

rundef.js(8, 1) (null): Library not registered

I investigated the problem in more detail and noticed that there is a line in rundef.js:

var EAFso = new ActiveXObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" );

Now I realized that the problem that I encountered with MS Office (Access in particular) must be related to the VIVADO synthesis stuck problem and I examined all Windows Registry entries that are related to "Microsoft Scripting Runtime", scrrun.dll and others.

I found a key {420B2830-E718-11CF-893D-00A0C9054228} which should refer to the scrrun.dll files (2 different ones for 32 and 64 bit systems) that was obviously corrupted. I could not open or delete it. After some ownership and access right changes I deleted it and imported a clean one from another system with the same OS.

When you look for all the issues with stucking synthesis, there is always a problem with the rundef.js Java script. Either Java is not installed or corrupted, an antivirus tool locks required files or an instruction within this script causes the problem.

You can identify this type of problem by looking at the tcl console output after canceling the stucking synthesis. If it says

WARNING: [Vivado 12-1017] Problems encountered:
1. PID not specified

you do have this type of problem.

So I think the best way to isolate the reason is to try to start the runme.bat from command window and to analyse the output. If you cannot get more information from the original output, try to debug the rundef.js Java script. This will help anyhow.

Regards

Norbert

RegRepaired.jpg
SynthStuck3.jpg
10 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
What stage in the synthesis is it getting stuck at. Check the synthesis run log
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for you reply.

I wonder that the log file does not even exist ...

Meanwhile I transferred the design to another computer and the synthesis succeeded. I try to copy the files back to computer with the problem and will check ..

Norbert

SynthStuck3.jpg
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @norbertreifschneider

Have you checked runme.log (available at <cwd>/<project_name>.runs/synth_1 directory). Try running an example design available in Vivado and see if that fails too. Check out memory recommendation per target devices. 

Xilinx recommends to have have at minimum enough physical system memory to handle the peak memory usage.

Regards,

Chinmay

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @norbertreifschneider,

This is a machine specific issue. 

Provide the log file to evaluate. 

Since the issue has started only after making modification in your source/wrapper , i will recommend you to create that project from scratch and in other directory and check if it works or not. 

Do not use copy and paste to shift Vivado proejcts. Instead, use archive feature which is inbuilt in Vivado. Go to File - Project - Archive.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

I am still checking the problem. I copied the design onto another computer and there it works. I got some design errors and fixed them. Then I copied the design back to the problem computer and now it stucks at implementation - very strange.

When the problem computer stucked at synthesis, no runme.log file was created. Not at all, I mean there was no runme.log at all, even not an empty one.

It cannot be a memory problem. When the problem computer stucked at implementation, I checked the runme.log from synthesis and it said memory peak usage about 2 GB, the machine has 16 GB.

Currently I continue work on the other computer that works. Possibly the problem computer has some malware problem, I am checking this at the moment.

Regards

Norbert

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Synthesis still stuck up after OOC completes?  If yes, can you run your IPs as global synthesis and check in the synthesis tab that where it is getting stuck. Provide the snapshot where it is getting stuck up.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi again,

I still have the problem and after doing some research I found out that this particular problem has been discussed as early as 2017.

When I cancel the synthesis at stuck, I get the error message

1. PID not specified

No runme.log file has been generated in the synth_1 directory.

I tried all proposals from the 2017 issue (stop virus scanner etc.), it cannot be a memory problem, no success. On the other machine the synthesis runs fine.

Any new ideas to get rid of this very annoying issue?

Norbert

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Try the steps mentioned below.

This issue is possibly due to .bat files not running correctly. Ensure that .bat files can run properly (you can test running the runme.bat in the .runs/synth_1 folder).

E:\temp\wtraing\project_1\project_1.runs\synth_2>runme.bat

CScript Error: Can't find script engine "JScript" for script "E:\temp\wtraing\pr oject_1\project_1.runs\synth_2\rundef.js".

It was found that the Jscript engine was disabled.

To re-enable it:

1. Become Administrator
  2. Open Command Prompt
  3. Go toC:\Windows\System32
  4. TYPE:regsvr32 jscript.dll
Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi again,

I finally fixed that issue after an untold number of working hours.

Before I am going to explain how I would like to go a little bit more far afield.

I am an experienced programmer and hardware engineer. I am professor for computer science at the University of Applied Sciences in Heilbronn (Germany) and I am teaching, besides others, microconroller development, programming languages and FPGA design.

I must say, the programmers who designed the synthesis tool for VIVADO would not have passed my programming language test. My students must comply with:

If an error occurs in software, tell the user:
- What is the reason for the error
- What does he have to do to fix it

Simply letting the user wait eternally with a stucking program is no go.

A few weeks ago a customer asked me for some changes in a large MS Access tool I had programmed for him in VBA years ago. When I re-opened the design after month of not caring about it, I encountered a problem in VBA. When I tried to compile, I got the message "User defined Type not defined" at a code location where a FileSystemObject should be instantiated. I looked at the VBA references and noticed that the "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" object was not available.

Since I know which file this is, I added the "scrrun.dll" manually to the project and it compiled. Nevertheless, when I executed the program, I got an "Run-time error '429': ActiveX component can't create object".

Since my customer did not want to have the changes really done at this time, I no longer did care about this and started working on my VIVADO project again, not realizing that the Office problem might be related to the VIVADO synthesis stuck problem, but it did.

So I tried to fix the VIVADO problem, doing this (which all is suggested in XILINX Community Forums):

- Remove and re-Install VIVADO

- Switch OFF antivirus tool

- Delete synth_1 directory

- Executing regsvr32 jscript.dll

- Remove and re-Install MS Office (several versions in my case)

- Removing and Re-Installing all Java tools

- Checking the ComSpec Environment Variable (is set correctly)

This all did not help, the problem persisted.

There was one hint in a post, saying start runme.bat from a command window in the synth_1 directory.

This yielded in

rundef.js(8, 1) (null): Library not registered

I investigated the problem in more detail and noticed that there is a line in rundef.js:

var EAFso = new ActiveXObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" );

Now I realized that the problem that I encountered with MS Office (Access in particular) must be related to the VIVADO synthesis stuck problem and I examined all Windows Registry entries that are related to "Microsoft Scripting Runtime", scrrun.dll and others.

I found a key {420B2830-E718-11CF-893D-00A0C9054228} which should refer to the scrrun.dll files (2 different ones for 32 and 64 bit systems) that was obviously corrupted. I could not open or delete it. After some ownership and access right changes I deleted it and imported a clean one from another system with the same OS.

When you look for all the issues with stucking synthesis, there is always a problem with the rundef.js Java script. Either Java is not installed or corrupted, an antivirus tool locks required files or an instruction within this script causes the problem.

You can identify this type of problem by looking at the tcl console output after canceling the stucking synthesis. If it says

1. PID not specified

you do have this type of problem.

So I think the best way to isolate the reason is to try to start the runme.bat from command window and to analyse the output. If you cannot get more information from the original output, try to debug the rundef.js Java script. This will help anyhow.

Regards

Norbert

RegRepaired.jpg
SynthStuck3.jpg

Jump to solution

Good to know that your issue has been resolved by debugging rundef.js Java script as mentioned in my last thread. 

Hence, please close this thread by marking it as accepted solution so if other customer's are facing the same problem then they can also apply this solution. 

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos