cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

[SystemVerilog] MUX Inference from Indexing `automatic` Array Broken

While simulation works properly, the Vivado synthesis engine fails on inferring an intact MUX for indexing an `automatic` array.

This issue can be confirmed with Vivado 2020.1 with this example:

// Plain 4:1-MUX with named inputs a, b, c, d
module mux #(
	type T = logic
)(
	input	logic clk,

input	logic [1:0] s,	// Select
	input	T a, b, c, d,	// Data Inputs
	output	T y				// Data Output
);
	always_ff @(posedge clk) begin
		automatic T	src[4] = '{ 0: a, 1: b, 2: c, 3: d };
		y <= src[s];
	end
endmodule : mux

// Quick Testbench
module mux_tb;
	typedef logic T;

logic clk = 0;
	always #5ns clk = !clk;

// DUT
	struct packed {
		logic	[1:0]	s;
		T		[3:0]	x;
	} i;
	T	y;
	mux dut(
		.clk,
		.s(i.s),
		.a(i.x[0]), .b(i.x[1]), .c(i.x[2]), .d(i.x[3]),
		.y
	);

// Stimuli
	initial begin
		i = $urandom(42);
		repeat(100) begin
			@(posedge clk); #1ns;
			$display("%0d of %04b -> %0x", i.s, i.x, y);
			assert(y == i.x[i.s]) else begin
				$error("Output mismatch.");
				$stop;
			end
			i <= $urandom();
		end
		$finish;
	end
endmodule : mux_tb

While simulating `mux_tb` encounters no error, the synthesis will produce a severely impaired result completely ignoring three out of the four possible source inputs:

mux.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @preusser ,

This looks to the issue with tool with automatic variable declaration. I will investigate this further and report the issue to get fixed in future release.

-Shreyas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @preusser 

Slight correction- The issue is with unpacked type variable declaration inside procedural context (with or without automatic keyword). Have reported the issue to fix in later release.

Regards,

Shreyas

Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos