UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Verilog Code for Division Operation which consumes minimum number of clock cycle?

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a project in which i have to design a module which does the division operation. I have designed a module for division but for n bit width data its taking n clock cycle for division. Please suggest some algorithm which take minimum number of clock cycle in order to perform a division operation.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Verilog Code for Division Operation which consumes minimum number of clock cycle?

No matter how you cut it, division is going to take a long time; either it's going to cost you cycles or it's going to cost you period ;-)

If you want to reduce number of cycles at the expense of a long period, you can take the logic in every cycle and attach it end to end. This will give you one cycle divide but you won't be happy with the timing results.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Verilog Code for Division Operation which consumes minimum number of clock cycle?

Just attaching it all end-to-end also tends to do horrible things to resource consumption.

What sort of numbers are you dividing? For small widths (eg. 8-bit divided by 4-bit) you can do the whole thing with a block RAM lookup table - so you can do two divisions per clock cycle. For larger values, there are fast division algorithms; these give much faster convergence but are also much more complex to implement (the single-bit-per-cycle method is very, very easy to implement).

0 Kudos

Sir, my data width is 16 bit

0 Kudos