UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado: Instantiate verilog (non-standard library) from VHDL

Jump to solution

Tool: Vivado 2014.4

I'm interested in instantiating System Verilog files in VHDL.  My problem is that I have 2 files that implement different code but use the exact same naming.  The verilog modules are both called example_tb.  My thought is to compile them into distinct libraries and then use the library reference to distinguish between them when I instantiate them in VHDL.  So far my attempts have failed with the synthesis reporting "no such design unit 'example_tb'".

I have been able to successfully synthesize one of these files by compiling it into the standard xil_defaultlib library, but it seems that compiling it into another library won't work.

I appreciate any help you can give.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado: Instantiate verilog (non-standard library) from VHDL

Jump to solution
Hi,
This message was added to better match the verilog and system verilog spec which doesn't allow libraries such as the "xil_defaultlib" but simulation does. This can prevent possible confusion between synthesis and simulation and it the message was added to let users know this difference.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hello,

Is the language set to VHDL in project settings?
Check the sources in the libraries tab of sources window and confirm that the files are associated to correct libraries?

Share the synthesis log file here.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Attached are screen shots from the project plus the synthesis log file (fpga.vds).  I noticed the following lines in the log file which look like the source of the problem:

# read_verilog -library ddr4_lib -sv G:/Work/M454/tmp/MixedLanguageTest/mig_ddr4_0_example/mig_ddr4_0_example.srcs/sources_1/imports/mig_ddr4_0/tb/example_tb.sv

WARNING: [filemgmt 56-99] Vivado Synthesis ignores library specification for Verilog or SystemVerilog files. [G:/Work/M454/tmp/MixedLanguageTest/mig_ddr4_0_example/mig_ddr4_0_example.srcs/sources_1/imports/mig_ddr4_0/tb/example_tb.sv:]

Are there any clean work arounds for this issue or do I need to edit the IP generated SystemVerilig file so the module name is unique?

vivadocap1.PNG
vivadocap2.PNG
vivadocap3.PNG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
This message was added to better match the verilog and system verilog spec which doesn't allow libraries such as the "xil_defaultlib" but simulation does. This can prevent possible confusion between synthesis and simulation and it the message was added to let users know this difference.
Thanks,Vijay
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos