UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer nikhenri
Observer

Vivado bug with back-to-back VHDL attribute, report false error "ERROR [Synth 8-5882] found unsupported attribute"

Hi !

Is there a way to make make a back-to-back VHDL attribute work ?

The synthesis return a false error that the attribute is not supported, but the attribut is supported, it's seem having back-to-back attribute on Vivado cause an issue.

Exemple#1:

signal clk_cnt      : integer range 100 downto 0 := 0;  
    signal clk_cnt2     : clk_cnt'subtype; --The attribute IS supported
    clk_cnt        <= clk_cnt + 1 when(clk_cnt /= clk_cnt'subtype'high); --expect '100' got [Synth 8-5882] found unsupported attribute

Exemple #2:

type t_array_slv        is array (natural range <>) of std_logic_vector;
signal adc_data_ch      : t_array_slv(1 downto 0)(2 downto 0);
signal adc_data_ch2 : adc_data_ch'element; --the attribute IS supported
... adc_data_ch <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(adc_data, adc_data_ch'element'length)); --expect '3' got [Synth 8-5882] ... ...

It work well on Modelsim.

I tested and see the issue on the following version : 2016.4 & 2017.3

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Vivado bug with back-to-back VHDL attribute, report false error "ERROR [Synth 8-5882] found unsupported attribute"

@nikhenri

I doubt this is supported in Vivado, let me check and get back.

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: Vivado bug with back-to-back VHDL attribute, report false error "ERROR [Synth 8-5882] found unsupported attribute"

'subtype has been confirmed as supported by xilinx

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/VHDL-2008-Enhancement-request-subtype-attribute/m-p/839896

And given that 'element works, then chained attributes must work or there is a VHDL compile bug.

0 Kudos