UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

WARNING:HDLCompiler:1499 ... Empty module <TDPRAM1kx64a_2kx32b> remains a black box.

Jump to solution

I'm getting a warning from the ISE tools that the DPRAM I instantiated is a black box.  Can I ignore this warning?  Will the RAM still be implemented?

I tried to remove the problem by removing the source files for the RAM and regenerating it via CoreGen.  I then copied the new template instatiation into my code and tried using the .v (Verilog) and .xco files as souce, but the warning still comes up:

WARNING:HDLCompiler:1499 - "\<path>\<project>\TDPRAM1kx64a_2kx32b.v" Line 40: Empty module <TDPRAM1kx64a_2kx32b> remains a black box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Re: WARNING:HDLCompiler:1499 ... Empty module <TDPRAM1kx64a_2kx32b> remains a black box.

Jump to solution

OK, it is not a bug, but is it still a poorly worded warning, and furthermore one is not generated for the clocking core I created.  It would be more helpful for the tool to say it will remain a block box for synthesis but the core will be used in implementation or something to that accord.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Re: WARNING:HDLCompiler:1499 ... Empty module <TDPRAM1kx64a_2kx32b> remains a black box.

Jump to solution

I also opened the sub-project for the DPRAM, and under synthesis messages I found this:

HDLCompiler:559 - "\<path>\<project>\ser.v" Line 185: Could not find module/primitive <TDPRAM512x36a_256x72b>.

Again, I instantiated the module via the template and the spelling looks and case look correct.

0 Kudos
Visitor ebenhagai
Visitor

Jump to solution

I get the same error using ise 12.2 12.3 Question where can I finfd more details about this warning (WARNING:HDLCompiler:1499)

eb_bho
0 Kudos
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Jump to solution

I have opened a webcase on the problem, and I will post the solution here when I get it.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

are you instantiating the primitive or a core?

0 Kudos
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Jump to solution

It's a core.  I used CoreGen to update a Spartan-3 DPRAM to a Spartan-6 DPRAM.  I then used the generated template to instantiate the RAM in the verilog source.  I am also using ISE 12.3

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If it's a core, then the core should be an NGC and you should blackbox the NGC.  If you want XST to read the core, then change your XST option "read cores", then make sure that you set the correct directory.

It's ok to have the NGC blackboxed because it gets brought back in during NGDBuild.  You need to make sure to have the core in the directory that your run NGDBuild or in your "macro search path"

0 Kudos
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Jump to solution

Read cores is checked as an option.  I added the xco file to the design and the NGC file is in the project directory.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Everything seems to look correct.  If NGDBuild is not bringing the core in correctly, then you'll get an NGDBuild:604 error.

Are you getting a 604 error in NGDBuild?

0 Kudos
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Jump to solution

I looked through the NGDbuild messages and 604 is not listed.  I also took a look in the FGPA Editor and the RAM is being implemented.  It looks like this might be a bug in the 12.3 synthesis tool.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

This is not a bug in the synthesis tool.  It's simply reporting to you that there's a component that's not described in RTL and it will leave the connections there so that they can be later brought in.  It looks like NDDBuild brought it in for you.  

All cores that generate an NGC will be blackboxed.   This is normal and expected.  You can read about black boxing in the XST guide at the bottom of page 199:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_3/xst.pdf

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It's not a bug. This warning is correctly reported. The RAM core generated from Coregen is treated as a black box during Synthesis and the NGC file of this RAM is picked up by NGDbuild and then filled into the black box. This is the intended flow of the tool.

Thanks,

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Observer ghourihan1
Observer

Jump to solution

OK, it is not a bug, but is it still a poorly worded warning, and furthermore one is not generated for the clocking core I created.  It would be more helpful for the tool to say it will remain a block box for synthesis but the core will be used in implementation or something to that accord.

0 Kudos
Visitor bmarchevsky1
Visitor

Jump to solution

I also get the same warning when instantiating a FIFO using the core generator.

It may not be a compiler bug but it is pretty ugly.

The software should be smart enough to generate objects that are not (or may not be) in error.

So if it is not a compiler bug, it is a coregen bug.

If it is not a compiler nor a coregen bug, it is a tool design philosophy bug.

In any case, I feel that it is particularly important to keep code and projects "clean", with 0 warnings being the goal.

The routine of "ignoring this and that worning because these are OK" has led countless times to lots of wasted time chasing ghosts.

Maybe I have been working with software too much, where compilers in general do a good job of issuing warnings when someting does need to be looked at.

So:

How do I make that warning not to come up, but only when everything is right and the code will work?

Turning off warning 1499 altogether is clearly just as wrong as ignoring it.

Bruno

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer heber.green
Observer

Jump to solution

Check out this answer record to get the warnings removed.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/9838.htm

Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Jump to solution
If you want to add the 'box_type' attribute, and your component declaration is in a package, the attribute declaration must also be in that package.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Visitor bmarchevsky1
Visitor

Jump to solution

Heber,green,

Thanks for the hint, it works.

I still think that the tools should know to look for an instantiated core.

Bruno

0 Kudos