UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tamasgy89
Observer

XST command line mode

Hi!

If I run XST in command line mode, is there any option or flag that specifies the existence of partitions in the design? If I run synthesis from the Project Navigator, it reports that partitions were found in the design. If I run synthesis from command line (xst -ifn topModule.xst), it reports that no partitions were found in the design.

Tamas 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: XST command line mode

Hi Tamas,

instead of the pure CLI-Mode you may consider to switch to Tcl-Scripts.

So you can still work without a GUI and via Tcl you have commands to manage partitions.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Observer tamasgy89
Observer

Thank you very much for your answer! :) Managing partitions works well with Tcl. I am just wondering where are the partitions actually defined (i thought they could be in the .ucf file, as in the case of modules with that area_group property). I have also been working with Xflow and I could not find a way to compile with partitions neither there (nor in command line mode). Are partitions going to be supported in CLI-mode or Xflow in the future?

Tamas

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Tamas,

In the 11.x and earlier software, the Partition information is stored in the Project Navigator Project file.   That is why you need to run in ProjNav or the ProjNav Tcl. 

In 12.1, this flow will be changing.  Partitions will be supported in PlanAhead and true command line.  All Partition information will be stored in an xml file.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Kate

0 Kudos
Observer tamasgy89
Observer

Thank you, this answers my question!

Is compiling a design in ProjNav or ProjNav TCL generally faster than in Xflow or CLI mode in ISE 11.1? I've recently compiled a design in ProjNav and in XFlow and in ProjNav it took 10 min. while in Xflow it took 14 min. (the same options were set in both compile modes). I don't know if this happened by chance or is this something usual?

Tamas
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I honestly don't know the answer to that question.  I am surprised to see that Xflow took longer.  What are the actual runtimes in the map and par report?  Are they the same or different?

Kate

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer tamasgy89
Observer

The different runtimes come from mapping, in the placement optimization phase. I think I've still missed an option in xflow because the same design compiled in ProjNav has a different layout in FPGA editor than when it is compiled in XFlow. In ProjNav I've left the default settings and I've used the balanced option file in XFlow. I thought they are equivalent, but it looks like they aren't...

Tamas

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It seems to me that something is different.  The best way to find out is to compare the mrp report file to see what options were used.
0 Kudos

I decided to use the autogenerate tcl script and running it in xtclsh but I am still getting the NGDBUILD955 Error saying that my partition was defined but cannot find it in  the user heirarchy.  My autobuild currently does the Run "Implement Design" Feature.  Is there something else I should add?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What happens when you run the design within ProjNav?  I am not sure what is going on without knowing more.

0 Kudos