UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor nomita
Visitor

adder2/adder3/adder4 synthesis using ISE

Hi

I have observed during synthesis of higher adders(width great than 5 or so) (adder5 and upwards) Xilinx uses carry chain but for adders with width 4 or less it just uses LUTs and no carry chains.

Has anyone else observed this? Any reasons

Is there a way to force it to use carry chain???

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor nomita
Visitor

Re: adder2/adder3/adder4 synthesis using ISE

I would appreciate if someone could look at it and reply.Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I don't have the exact reason but I think it is due to a balance of resource utilization and timing performance.

When the adder is small, using LUTs results in less utilization and the performance is good enough.

Why not just have XST to choose what resources to use?

Is there any special reason that you'd like to force using carry chain for small adders?

Thanks,

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos

@nomita,

I believe there must be an internal threshold defined in the XST to decide when to infer adders with carry chains, which can be tested with a small test case as already mentioned by you.

As already mentioned by Vivian, let the tool take decision on logic inference.

However, if you want to force the inference, please use use_carry_chain attribute on the signal declaration. This will push the logic into the carry chains.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos