Did you mean: 
fvandesa
Contributor
Contributor

conflicting RAM Types

Hi,

I get (a lot) of messages :

" conflicting RAM Tu[pes(3D/Records) detected"

without further reference or description.

Any ideas what this could mean or how to get more verbosity?

thanks,

Frank

0 Kudos
13 Replies
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Does it give any context- like the file?

multi-dimensional Arrays and records are possible in VHDL, but inferring ram from them is not possible

0 Kudos
fvandesa
Contributor
Contributor

>>Does it give any context- like the file?

the message that I copied (but I can see what submodule/file is causing it, but there are multiple inferred memories)

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

how about a copy of the code,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Likely the problem is as I explained - you're attempting to infer rams from multi-dimensional arrays or arrays of record types

0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

(Up front - I'm a verilog user, but I think this applies for VHDL too).

Synthesis tools (and even tutorials for Simulation), since the early days, always thought of using 2-D arrays as solely for the purpose of modeling memories.  So the first time the FPGA synthesis vendors started inferring RAMS, it started with just looking for 2-D arrays.

However, this is a rather limited use case for multi-dimensional variables.  For me at least, I use multi-dimensional arrays for purposes other than modeling memories for the majority of my RTL code.  But the current heuristics for the tools use to "look" for inferred memories start with the simple "is it a 2-d (or higher) array."  Then attaches more qualifications.  So I see all sorts of warnings from the tools about multi-dimensional arrays not matching a memory template.  Which is true - I'm not modeling a memory!  So, more warnings from the tool for me to ignore...

Not sure if the OP case matches mine, but it's a possible use case.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
surajc
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @fvandesa 
Could you please share the runme.log ( project mode ) / vivado.log ( non-project mode ) file which captures these messages? 
Also, could you provide a simple test case for reproducing the messages at our end.

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

@markcurry

I agree with you, and thought not as good as you , I'm you opposite, VHDL, and a bit of verilog when i "have to go that route "  

To @fvandesa 

This is likely to be history,,,,

The tools are VERY slow to evolve,

not least this I think is because they came out of Millitary work, who never want to change if an out of date / old / technique is around, no matter how much "better" the new is .

yes @markcurry, System Verilog   

Anyway,

Historically ,

the languages were designed to allow defining modules accurately , and simulate them. 

it was only much later that people made tools that converted the language into real silicon..

In the real digital world, everything is a pin, and inherently a vector,   

It was only much later still that the tools could "infer" a two dimensional array , if "you were very explicit" in how you coded it.

Multi dimensional arrays, just don't map into silicon, they are more abstract,

and at its heart RTL is describing silicon ( well hardware anyway )

so after all this ramble, 

what I'm getting at, is the tools are lagging,

They are millions of times better than they were in 1980 when I started, 

but humans can still make code that the tools will hick up on

so don't be surprised that your more clever than the tools,

Suggest that you try a few simple examples of multidimensional to see what is and is not possible

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

@drjohnsmith

I think we're mostly agreeing, however I disagree with this statement:

> Multi dimensional arrays, just don't map into silicon, they are more abstract, and at its heart RTL is describing silicon

Multi-dimensional arrays map to silicon just as easily as single dimensional vectors. Arrays (of any number of dimensions) are just a convenience for the human reader to map algorithms.  I have 48 wires - these could be any of (SystemVerilog style):

• bit [ 47 : 0 ] some_48bit_single_mac;
  • bit [ 1 : 0 ][ 23 : 0 ] two_audio_dac_samples;
  • bit [ 1 : 0 ][ 2 : 0 ] [ 7 : 0 ] two_rgb_pixels;
  • bit [ 1 : 0 ][ 1 : 0 ] [ 11 : 0 ] matrix_2x2_of_12_bit_values;

All this maps quite fine to hardware.  The indexing of the various arrays is a convenience for the human reader.  To the machine it's just 48 wires.  It's the same thing in any computer language really.  Create a computer language.  Before long someone's asking for arrays.  Very quickly after, one's asking for multi-dimensional arrays. I'd bet a good portion of software language questions on stackoverflow are "how does one create multi-dimensional arrays in language XXX".

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

I think I did not explain myself @markcurry 

by saying silicon is not multi dimensional,

I was referring to the silicon being laid out X / Y

So for instance a two by two byte "array" is conceptualy , "just" laid out on the silicon,

and that show the tools were designed, 

As you say, now days , things are much more software like , dimensions are "infinate" 

records are standard, with multipe size objects in them,

My point was the tools initial were not, 

and humans have infinite ways of creating code, 

and the poor tools have to decode that to a two dimensional silicon slice,

( OK there is stacked silicon, but thats another story ) 

I just keep in mind the job the tools do, and sometimes check just what they are chucking out when I get "creative" cause its easier for me.

0 Kudos
anusheel

@fvandesa 
The UG901 has a few example codes for RAMs using 3D Array:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf (page 158)

Please check the sample codes or share your RTL file for us to understand the issue. 

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos
fvandesa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

the problem occurs with a quite complex design that I needed to trim down before sharing.

Having done that, it seems the arrays that I intended to be mapped on RAMs are still mapped to RAMs;

The warning "conflicting RAM Types(3D/Records) detected" is apparently triggered by something else in the code that I had no intention to be a memory in the first place (actually I don't know how it could be"

Too bad that the tool doesn't give any more information (like what signal it is referring too). 

So the warning is useless, but trying to find what is causing it would take too much effort.

This issue can be closed.

The 

anusheel

@fvandesa 

We expect the tool to point to the RTL code. Looks like this is not happening in your design, can you share the design log for us to check internally?

Thanks
Anusheel 

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

@fvandesa

I feel the pain tryign to locate a feature in a large lump of code,

more than once I have ended up commenting out lumps of code to see when the feature disappears. 

There must be abetter way ,

I Know, Xilinx will suggest writing in HLS ,,,, 

0 Kudos