cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkh80652005
Visitor
Visitor

help, how to add a constraint that only use 3 input in 4-input LUT fpga.

fpga is Virtex II, I want all of the used LUT only use 3 out of 4 inputs. but I don't know how to give this constraint in XTS. do someone know this?thanks very much!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

hkh80652005 wrote:

fpga is Virtex II, I want all of the used LUT only use 3 out of 4 inputs. but I don't know how to give this constraint in XTS. do someone know this?thanks very much!

Uhhh, why?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
hkh80652005
Visitor
Visitor

thans for your reply. I want to reserve some resources for every LUT, so I want to use only 3 input for every 4-input LUT.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

why would you want to reserve resource ?

it's no use to you, you can't sell it or anything !

what are your views on the action of the synthesiser ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

hkh80652005 wrote:
thans for your reply. I want to reserve some resources for every LUT, so I want to use only 3 input for every 4-input LUT.

This makes absolutely no sense. None at all.

What will likely happen if you are able to do this is that you will use more LUTs, which defeats the purpose of saving resources.

In fact, the Spartan 6 and Virtex 6 devices have a 6-input LUT because the wider-input LUTs are more efficient and as such can reduce the number of LUTs required by a design.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
goran
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

There is no way to tell the synthesizer to only use 3 out of 4 inputs.

The only way you can do this is by skipping the synthesizer and manually insert LUT3 primitives for the whole design.

That is something that I don't even wish on my enemy, so just don't go there unless your design is less than 20 LUTs.

Göran

0 Kudos