Regards

Prasanth S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Latches are generally a bad thing as they cannot be timed during timing analysis, and you'll probably end up with issues in hardware

I suggest simply removing the latch, and simply connect it to the true state always. Remember, in AXI, if a valid signal is LOW, then the rest of the signals are meaningless and can be anything. There is no need to set an address to 0 when valid is low. Usually you just keep it at the old value (via a register)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Are you sure it is this line and not a knock on from elsewhere? this construct is simply a mux.

Please post the whole code.

0 Kudos
Prasandh92
Participant
Participant

Please find the warning messages and corresponding lines,

[Synth 8-327] inferring latch for variable 'cmd_din' ["C:/Users/psathyam/backend_design_working_v1_ref6/ddr4_0_ex/ddr4_0_ex.srcs/sources_1/new/ddr_buffer.v":186]

assign cmd_din = cmd_wr_en?cmd_din_reg:cmd_din;

[Synth 8-327] inferring latch for variable 'temp_awaddr' ["C:/Users/psathyam/backend_design_working_v1_ref6/ddr4_0_ex/ddr4_0_ex.srcs/sources_1/new/user_m_axi.v":267]

assign temp_awaddr = (axi_awvalid && axi_awready)?{2'b00,cmd_fifo_dout[27:0]}: temp_awaddr;

[Synth 8-327] inferring latch for variable 'axi_wdata' ["C:/Users/psathyam/backend_design_working_v1_ref6/ddr4_0_ex/ddr4_0_ex.srcs/sources_1/new/user_m_axi.v":203]

assign axi_wdata = (axi_wvalid_reg1 && axi_wready)? write_fifo_dout:axi_wdata;

[Synth 8-327] inferring latch for variable 'temp_araddr' ["C:/Users/psathyam/backend_design_working_v1_ref6/ddr4_0_ex/ddr4_0_ex.srcs/sources_1/new/user_m_axi.v":326]

assign temp_araddr = (axi_arvalid && axi_arready)? {2'b00,cmd_fifo_dout[27:0]}: temp_araddr;

attaching the module below

Thanks in advance

Prasanth S

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Actually, just re-reading properly, of course this is a latch.

You are asking it to hold its value when cmd_wr_en = 0.  This is the definition of a latch. 

0 Kudos
Prasandh92
Participant
Participant

Yes you are right.

My question is will it affect during synthesis or implementation in hardware?

If it is so, how do I re-write this logic?

Thanks in advance

Prasanth S

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

Latches are generally a bad thing as they cannot be timed during timing analysis, and you'll probably end up with issues in hardware

I suggest simply removing the latch, and simply connect it to the true state always. Remember, in AXI, if a valid signal is LOW, then the rest of the signals are meaningless and can be anything. There is no need to set an address to 0 when valid is low. Usually you just keep it at the old value (via a register)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos