UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

use of std_logic_arith in UG901

Jump to solution

I've noticed some sections of UG901 is correctly the using numeric_std package in the IEEE library but other sections of UG901 are using deprecated packages from Synopsys squatting in the IEEE library, viz.:  std_logic_arith, std_logic_unsigned.

For example, the 32-Bit Dynamic Shift Registers Coding Example uses std_logic_unsigned, while the 8-Tap Even Symmetric Systolic FIR filter uses numeric_std.

I assume this would simple enough to address in the next release of UG901.

Mike
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: use of std_logic_arith in UG901

Jump to solution

std_logic_arith/signed/unsiged were never standard in the first place, so cannot become deprecated. They became a defacto standard.

Some designers still insist on using them, and Xilinx has historically been like microsoft when it comes to VHDL standards - they'll just do their own thing and just ignore everyone else.

So now they have plenty of legacy documentation/code using non-standard VHDL. It doesnt really matter, as the final implementation will still match.

I agree, it will not help eradicate their use, but it's here to stay. VHDL 2008 defined standard packages numeric_std_unsigned and numeric_std_signed, which are basically identical to std_logic_unsigned/signed, so standards pedants have already lost.

3 Replies
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

std_logic_arith/signed/unsiged were never standard in the first place, so cannot become deprecated. They became a defacto standard.

Some designers still insist on using them, and Xilinx has historically been like microsoft when it comes to VHDL standards - they'll just do their own thing and just ignore everyone else.

So now they have plenty of legacy documentation/code using non-standard VHDL. It doesnt really matter, as the final implementation will still match.

I agree, it will not help eradicate their use, but it's here to stay. VHDL 2008 defined standard packages numeric_std_unsigned and numeric_std_signed, which are basically identical to std_logic_unsigned/signed, so standards pedants have already lost.

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@richardhead wrote:

Ah, thanks.  Learned something...hadn't realized that.

Mike
0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution
I tell a lie, numeric_std_signed doesnt exist. Only numeric_std_unsigned is part of the standard.
0 Kudos