Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

while loop iteration error XST 1312

Jump to solution

Hy! I'm getting the same error Xst 1312 cause of while() loop !! and I have only 1 loop in my code.. upto my understanding it is beign caused of infinite loop .... but i have very legit stop condition within the that loop to stop it when address reaches 55th location.. (always less iterations then 64) but it still gives the error ... attachment of the code and error ! please help

Tags (2)
while.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

@ahmad32 wrote:

So what you are saying is that while() loop is not synthesiseable unless it has constant itterations which is equal to for() loop . End point don't use while() loop just use for() loop 

That's half of the statement I made.  The other half is that using loops, you can easily describe a very large amount of logic.  Loops for synthesis always run in zero time.  So everything in all iterations generates a lot of combinatorial logic.  In your case, you also assign multiple locations in an array within the loop.  This means that you need to be able to write multiple locations in the same clock cycle, and if that multiple is more than two you can't use memory for storage.

In simulation, it's possible to use loops that run over a number of clock cycles or other time delays by adding events within the loop.  Delay-based waits are ignored for synthesis, and other events (wait until value or edge) are not synthesizable when inside a loop.  If you have time available to run the loop one clock cycle per iteration, then you need to re-write the code to use a signal for the loop count and some extra state logic to know when to start and end the loop in time.

If you really need the code you posted to run in a single clock cycle, then the for loop is probably the best you can do, remembering that a for loop needs to have a constant number of iterations.  You work around that using if clauses within the for loop to deetermine which iterations of the loop actually affect the output signals.  But as you can see it also means that the constant number of iterations needs to be at least as large as the maximum number of iterations you needed for simulation.  That can lead to a very large amount of combinatorial logic, and a lot of logic levels, making the best achievable clock speed significantly slower than a pipelined approach.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

15 Replies
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,
Its better not to use while loop for synthesis. Can you please try changing the code to avoid while loop & check?
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

Synthesis really doesn't like to deal with variable length loops.  My suggestion would be to change the loop to a for loop like:

for (i = 0;i < 55;i = i + 1)

if (i > add_512_block)  // pointing to area to be padded

block_512[i] = 8'd0;

The above loop clearly iterates 55 times but only has action when i is greater than add_512_block.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

Nope to both answers !! sorry!! but i wanna use while loop !! I can't use for loop for spesific iteration it has to be at max limit and with new register cause can't change address of memory with for loop.... can anyone please just look at my code and tell me where i'm mistaken in using the while loop ??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hj
Could you please attach your code so that we can try & let you know.

Regards,
Harry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor
I have attached the snapshot of the while loop in original thread of the question.... please check the snapshot !!
0 Kudos
hj
It will be easy if you can post the code as text file. If possible then please share the code.

Thanks,
Harry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

Here is the Code for Padder Module of SHA256 !! Its little bit rough !! but no syntax error !! I have tired removing While() loop with either for() loop or just by simple if() else (although my logic doesn't really go well with these) the error XST 1312 goes away. sorry for not attaching the code file before.

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

@ahmad32 wrote:

Nope to both answers !! sorry!! but i wanna use while loop !! I can't use for loop for spesific iteration it has to be at max limit and with new register cause can't change address of memory with for loop.... can anyone please just look at my code and tell me where i'm mistaken in using the while loop ??

Maybe the bold word in my first post didn't sink in.  For synthesis, loops need to have a constant number of iterations.  Period.  I understand that for simulation, you can do anything you want, including "while" loops that iterate forever.  However you need to think about the logic that this loop will create.  Synthesis by definition needs to know what to generate at the time it compiles the code.  It is not an "interpreter" that can run constantly looking at the current value of your variables.

The fact that results were not very good when you got the code to synthesize is not very surprising.  There are a lot of logic levels required to synthesize that code, and the "memory" structure "block_512" will need to be implemented with fabric flip-flops rather than any type of distributed or block RAM.  You might think about re-writing the code so that the zero-padding is done over multiple clock cycles.

-- Gabor
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

So what you are saying is that while() loop is not synthesiseable unless it has constant itterations which is equal to for() loop . End point don't use while() loop just use for() loop 

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

@ahmad32 wrote:

That's half of the statement I made.  The other half is that using loops, you can easily describe a very large amount of logic.  Loops for synthesis always run in zero time.  So everything in all iterations generates a lot of combinatorial logic.  In your case, you also assign multiple locations in an array within the loop.  This means that you need to be able to write multiple locations in the same clock cycle, and if that multiple is more than two you can't use memory for storage.

In simulation, it's possible to use loops that run over a number of clock cycles or other time delays by adding events within the loop.  Delay-based waits are ignored for synthesis, and other events (wait until value or edge) are not synthesizable when inside a loop.  If you have time available to run the loop one clock cycle per iteration, then you need to re-write the code to use a signal for the loop count and some extra state logic to know when to start and end the loop in time.

If you really need the code you posted to run in a single clock cycle, then the for loop is probably the best you can do, remembering that a for loop needs to have a constant number of iterations.  You work around that using if clauses within the for loop to deetermine which iterations of the loop actually affect the output signals.  But as you can see it also means that the constant number of iterations needs to be at least as large as the maximum number of iterations you needed for simulation.  That can lead to a very large amount of combinatorial logic, and a lot of logic levels, making the best achievable clock speed significantly slower than a pipelined approach.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

You were right.... I tried constant itterations with repeat(54) as you mentioned earlier it was taking lots of hardware logic & took all of my PC's RAM 4GB to synthesise for more than 20 minutes .....

Can you please tell me the way around such loops where i can address multiple lcoations without wasting that much of hardware & sorry i didn't get following.

@gszakacs wrote:

If you have time available to run the loop one clock cycle per iteration, then you need to re-write the code to use a signal for the loop count and some extra state logic to know when to start and end the loop in time.

0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

@ahmad32 wrote:

Can you please tell me the way around such loops where i can address multiple lcoations without wasting that much of hardware & sorry i didn't get following.

Do you need simultaneous access to these multiple locations, or can you access them one at a time?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

No tottally ! I can use multiple cycles ... (but less would be better as always) 

0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

There are at least two options.

Option 1.

Code up the module as a pipeline (also google "systolic array").  A pipeline allows you to accept a new incoming sample on every clock.  It's a large design (but not as large as your completely unrolled loop).  I haven't looked at your algorithm in detail, but I do notice a 'for' loop iterating from 0 to 54.  Perhaps each iteration can map to one stage of pipeline.

Option 2.

Code up the module as a state-machine.  Here, your state machine will keep track of where you are in the calculation.  For this case, you're sharing fpga resources at each state, hence you can only accept a new input sample once every (in your case 55) clock cycles.  Option 2 is probably what a software person is "seeing in his head" as he codes the algorithm. It looks more like a software solution.  But you have to get your hands a little dirtier and explicitly deal with state.

These two options are kind of the extreme endpoints.  Your chosen solution very likely will be somewhere in between them.

Regards,

Mark

ahmad32
Visitor
Visitor

Thanx for your help. I'm already trying states using case(address) fucntion but I'll look into the Systolic Array too.

0 Kudos