UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Creating very slow clocks

Highlighted
Visitor

Creating very slow clocks

Hello,

I'm trying to build a system that uses very slow clocks (few of them, speeds ~10 kHz), which can't be synthesized using Xilinx's Clocking wizard IP, because that uses PLL's or MMCM's that can't  go that slow. So, I made my own counter and am using it to create clocks, from much faster system clock.

So, I know I could constrain those in .XDC file using "create_clock" TCL command, but the problem is that I want to connect those clocks to some AXI-Stream FIFO's and Vivado won't let me do it, because it doesn't see those signals as valid clocks, and I can't run TCL because I don't have any elaborated design opened.

Can you tell me how to let Vivado know I want to create clock from output pin of some module/IP?

Thank you

Topics: 1
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 18

Re: Creating very slow clocks

I think you are facing more than one problem here.
You most should create a generated clock but using the fast clock as a master. This would ensure the paths can be analysed but I think you have a more serious concern. The axi stream is likely to be supported in a given frequency range, I doubt it is intended to run this slow.
Also it's worth pointing out that the output of a flip flop needs to route from general routing and find it's way onto the global clock tree via a bufg which is not always ideal in FPGA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee

It might be better to use a faster clock out of a PLL and use the counters to enable your logic at the desired intervals.  Hard to say without knowing more about your design.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hi, and thank you both for your replies.

As I said, I can't use PLL, because I want to create 48 kHz clock signal from 24 MHz clock. Now, I know I can use counter to slow this down, but when I try to connect this output pin (from counter module) to clk pin of axi stream data fifo, I get a warning saying pin types don't match. As I said, usually I would constrain this path (and put it trough BUFG), using "create_clock", but I'm still unable to do this. 

Now, you said something about BUFGs not being ideal in FPGA, besides possible timing problems, is there anything else I should worry about?

Also, I'm not sure about allowed freq range on Axi Stream interface, I've never seen anything on that topic, and I didn't think it existed because its a pretty simple protocol, that also does some handshaking. Is there some range, and, if it is, can you please provide some info?

Instructor

There is probably no minimum frequency on an AXI stream. However even 24MHz is very slow in an FPGA - at this frequency you can do pretty much anything you would reasonably need to do in a single clock. Therefore generating (and using) an even slower clock will not likely make a difference in terms of optimization (utilization, timing closure).

So rather than try and create and us a 48kHz clock, why not just run on the 24MHz clock with a non-continuous AXI stream. All AXI stream masters have an "VALID" signal - this is a signal you can assert and deassert as necessary to signal valid data from the master. If the master only has valid data 48,000 times a second, then you can simply assert this signal with each new valid data - in essence once out of every 500 clocks. Done this way, you have only one clock (the 24MHz one) and the data rate matches what you need - 48000 data per second.

Avrum